Author Topic: One month till opening day bow here.  (Read 2877 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
One month till opening day bow here.
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:28:28 am »
Hopefully in one month a lot of us will be sitting in our favorite spots watching the woods and fields. Are you ready yet? I've been putting up and improving my tree stands. Also pulling out or cutting off any tiny saplings, weeds or sticks from my ground hunting spots. And putting out a few apples and pears. Test shoot from every spot. Now I'll just keep practicing and watching and putting out a few snacks.
Time to get ready if you can.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: One month till opening day bow here.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:00:15 am »
Nice to hear BJ.The season starts here too October 1st.I've been checking on my stands too.Put up 2 new ones.I'm practicing a few times a week from my 10' deck at a bag target.
Got my bow picked to shoot and my hunting arrows ready.Made 7 of them.I won't  carry more then 4 though.Pre shot them into a pile of dirt.Resharpened them and ready to go.I'm practicing with mated shafts and field points.
Corn is still in the fields here.Beans too.It's getting into the lower 50's now at night.
Sure hope you get a nice shot.Good luck to you and everyone else out there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:07:05 am »
I've been shooting every day I'm off work.  We still need to hang our stands.  My brother in law just put in a food plot.  We still have a lot to do before Oct. 1st
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:36 am »
You fellas with hunting ground are dang lucky. Without it, there isn't any pre-season fun or prepping. I used to enjoy that as much as the season itself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:54:14 am »
Very true Pearl.I remind myself of that too.Public ground and a lot of it around this Lake Rathbun is available here too but it would make things more difficult.A climbing stand or pre made natural ground stand would have to be done.Dealing with other hunters is tough too.Although sometimes like here other hunters across the fence actually spook deer into my direction.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:13:13 am »
If I were to hang four or five stands now, three or four would be gone before I sat in them, if not all of them. If I were to go out trimming lanes and such, another stand would be on it before I got back to use it. Back in the day when I had access we would always do our stand work over Labor day weekend, it was our tradition. My passion for bow hunting around home has waned considerably the last decade. Almost non-existent compared to my "younger days" :) I don't need venison so badly I would walk 2 miles back and two miles out for a deer. Doesn't even sound fun!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
Here in kentucky it starts tomorrow.  But you might need a pair of waders  ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 10:40:40 am »
Put a broadhead on a fishing arrow Bill.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:49:44 am »
If I were to hang four or five stands now, three or four would be gone before I sat in them, if not all of them. If I were to go out trimming lanes and such, another stand would be on it before I got back to use it. Back in the day when I had access we would always do our stand work over Labor day weekend, it was our tradition. My passion for bow hunting around home has waned considerably the last decade. Almost non-existent compared to my "younger days" :) I don't need venison so badly I would walk 2 miles back and two miles out for a deer. Doesn't even sound fun!
Yes I hear you Chris.I guess the only way then is to get private permission from an area.That can be hard too with the craze that occurs by the season coming up.

BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 10:55:03 am »
Ed I have some GREAT archery friends from out of state that have given me an open invite to hunt their places, but that requires more than a night after work or a weekend! Next year I'll have five weeks vacation and maybe I can sneak out of state again.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 12:16:18 pm »
Sounds good.5 weeks is more then enough.My limited area here of 30 acres or so could hold 2 hunters but eventually they get spooked.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
Pearl I agree 100%. I thank my maker every day for letting me walk his land. I realize exactly how blessed I am. I wish everyone could.

Ed you are so right. Like you I have some good spots that I can improve and manage. But it comes down to some small places that to hunt this way you can't let them know your there. As soon as you get busted in a spot it's not nearly as good anymore. Have to move around some. Sometimes I like to hunt from a spot that I might not get a shot but I'm probably not going to spook anything and I can see and watch the prime real estate.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise