Author Topic: 3rd Annual Gathering Under the Ash Tree Shade - (Sept 15 - 17, 2017)  (Read 20703 times)

Offline Onebowonder

We are planning another gathering to build bows under the Ash tree shade in my side yard. Dates will be September 15th -17th in Springfield, MO

Our plan at this point is to:
1] Build bows Friday afternoon and evening,
2] Do a little couch camping, get up early to spend Saturday building bows again,
3] Followed by a bit more couch camping.
4] and then Sunday around noon . . .  we'll trek out to the Davis House Archery Complex here in Springfield. (https://www.springfieldmo.org/listings/1683/davis-house-archery-complex)  They have an indoor 20 yard range, an outdoor 70 yard range, and a Walking Wooded 14-Target Range.  The range cost is $10 each.  They are not usually open on a Sunday, but they have agreed to get one of their staff to come in and let us use their facility for a couple hours.
5] We'll then go back to the house to finish up, pack out, and have a late lunch before heading home.

NEW this year! - We'll be setting up a KNAPPING Pit this year as well for those that enjoy making little bitty rocks outta great big rocks.  There will be some guys here that know what they are doing with knapping that would likely be persuadable to help new folks get started with this bad habit.

Bring your favorite beverages and whatever add-to-its you’d like to share for the meals.  We’ll plan to have some smoked meats from the smoker barrel on Friday evening and Saturday.  Sunday's late lunch will be a big ole pot of chili and whatever y'all want to add to it.   

As far as those that need a place to sleep over, my house has a couple spare bedrooms and a bunch of comfy couches that are normally empty, (as long as I behave well!).  We also have a travel trailer setup that can accommodate five or six guys.  Please don’t rent a hotel/motel room unless you just want to support the local Springfield economy.

OneBow

This message is composed of greater than 70% RECYCLED posting content from last year's announcement.  Reduce, Re-use, Recycle!

Offline Dvshunter

Re: 3rd Annual Gathering Under the Ash Tree Shade - (Sept 15 - 17, 2017)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 10:46:16 pm »
Eric! You know full well that I leave for Colorado to hunt elk on the 14th. I'm starring to think you don't want me there. Lucky for me, Chris puts one on. I wish I could make it but I'm starring to see a pattern here  )P(
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:25:54 am »
Dave finally figured it out.
I'll be sure to bring the "new" cooler and camera.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 12:51:25 pm »
When are we making t-shirts? Fifth annual?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »
When are we making t-shirts? Fifth annual?
I've still got leftover stuff for Tie Dyeing if you want one this year!

I went out and got a couple pictures of the 3D course yesterday.  WOW is it sweet!!!  Wide clear paths with mulchand lots and lots of shade! There are fourteen targets.

OneBow

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 01:30:03 pm »
DVS - I was pretty sure you were just chasing some hippy gurl named Wapiti!  If you catch her early, come on to Springfield and have some real fun.  You can bring her with if you like!

OneBow

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 07:03:39 pm »
Looks like I can make it this year.  :)
The Three Trails shoot is the Sunday before and the Snow's shoot is the weekend after. Looks like it's gonna be an archery kinda September.  :OK

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 08:28:52 pm »
Looks like I can make it this year.  :)
The Three Trails shoot is the Sunday before and the Snow's shoot is the weekend after. Looks like it's gonna be an archery kinda September.  :OK

Glad to hear it sir!  -OneBow

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 09:01:10 pm »
Paul are you sure you can handle our debauchery?  >:D

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:13 am »
Me and wyatt would love to come but he has a state 4-H archery shoot that weekend . ☹️
Maybe next one!
lets get back to the basics

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:25:57 am »
Paul are you sure you can handle our debauchery?  >:D

Oh, I think I can keep up. If I pace myself...  ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 12:02:16 pm »
Sounds like a real blast!  Hopefully it cools off a bit by then and you guys don't get rained out.  I seem to remember that it was usually pretty mild back there in September, though.  That is a bit too far for me to make it, and I am already committed to a black powder shoot out here in Colorado.

DVS, where are you going to be hunting?  It has been pretty dry in a lot of areas, the monsoon didn't have a lot of punch this year.  The Front Range is way below normal rain wise. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 02:21:56 pm »
Well I'll be there Lord willing!
I believe Ive been to that range before, that is if its the one im thinking of. 
I can't wait for this gathering! I'm glad that at you can make it Paul! Looking forward to seeing everyone again. 
It will be a good one for me,  got to get some 3D practice in before the end of the month.  Nonose has invited me down to his place to do some hog hunting! I plan a selfbow hunt and a black powder as well.  I got to get some bows worked on as well.  Should be a lot of fun and plenty of good food as well! See you all soon!

Ps, if anyone has a grain scale, could you bring it with you please?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »
Will try to remember the grain scale.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 06:13:52 pm »
I'll bring a scale incase Mikey's sometimers kicks in. He is getting chronologically challenged.  :P