Author Topic: Ugh  (Read 1681 times)

Offline sleek

Ugh
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:56:52 pm »
Had an elm bow for a year ish now. I heat treated the mid limbs today to even up the tiller a bit. It responded well and gave me hope. Until i pulled that last inch. Sob lifted a splinter in the fade where I hadnt even heat treated it. It was a straight bow of 62 inches. Nothing extreem. Ya cant win em all....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Ugh
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:21:34 am »
Sorry to hear that! We have all been there but that does not make you feel better. And this was really a long bow for you standards 8)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:32:10 am »
 Strange place to splinter ,what species of elm?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:26:20 am »
I had several breaks on elm bows, until I noticed the were too dry! Now i have a moisture meter in the shop.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:38 am »
I blew up a sinew bow bout a year ago,, had it stored above the heater,, I think it was less than 6% when I checked it... or the meter wouldnt register, it was a wake up call for me to be more careful in the winter about storing the bows,,,,,easy to get to dry,,
easy to measure the moisture content in the middle of the limb,, when its broke in half,, :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 08:21:43 pm »
Strange place to splinter ,what species of elm?

Not red elm. Beyond that, i have no clue.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:25:07 pm »
It may have been too dry. Elm is tough though. I decrowned the back below the splinter. That removed it and gave the back more tension ability being wider now. Then I took the heat gun and toasted the entire belly this time. Then retillered. Its now a 40#@26. Shoots ok. Probably gonna toss it in the corner. Maybe have the wife shoot it as a target bow. Idk really what to do with it. Lol.