Author Topic: Making bows from billets?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Morgan

Making bows from billets?
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:59 pm »
How many here make bows from billets? I have a line on what will possibly make a bunch of Osage billets. Every time I hear of someone wanting Osage trees cut, it's the same, no sections long enough to make a solid stave. A friend's father in law has several Osage trees he wants rid of. None that I saw in the pics had a solid stave in them. A bunch would make billets.
How big of a pain is it to get everything lined up for splicing when both ends are irregular?
I think I want this wood but don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Making bows from billets?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:45:43 am »
I use billets sometimes, not hard to do at all so yes, take those trees down!
I always use a simple v splice cut with a handsaw and glue them with some gap fillng epoxy. Never had one fail. Some people steam and clamp the splice for a better fit. You can even add some reflex or deflex while your at it :laugh:

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:50:26 am »
This bow was turned into a billet bow. Billets are good!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61463.0.html
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Limbit

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 02:07:44 am »
I am pretty much limited to billets most of the time in Taiwan and spent the time to learn how to splice properly simply to be able to use the wood here. I actually prefer to splice now and many other bowers feel the same way. I mean, a good stave is a real treat, but billets can be just as rewarding. Billets are often nearly mirror images of each other when split and so the natural taper and grain of the wood matches evenly after splicing. It actually makes a lot of sense and it opens up a world of usable wood. A simply V splice is all you need in most situations assuming it is long enough and you don't remove too much of it shaping the handle. You can also try a takedown bow. There is an article recently written on the PA homepage by Mr.St.Louis. about making a (dare I say it) fibreglass takedown sleeve. Check it out.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:22 am »
It's bit daunting first time, but no problem once you've done it once... (like most stuff!)
Take time in preparation, marking out etc and it will be ok. When (not if) you make a mistake it's not too bad to re-cut one splice or steam 'em or fill a tiny gap.
I enjoy doing 'em :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:20 am »
I prefer billet bows, especially sister, side by side billets, I like two matching limbs to work with. I have probably made 100 osage billet bows.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:00 am »
I like them. I use a "Z" splice. If you line your splice up down the center line the string alignment is done before you start.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:29 am »
Well, y'all convinced me. I'm going to go over there next week and see what's there in person. Pics look promising though. Right now I have a 4" dia x 66" long hackberry log in my shed that makes a big dog leg a foot from one end. I was going to make a kids bow one day with it, but may try to cut it down and try a splice on it.
Thanks guys.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:02:29 pm »
It did take me a while to trust my splices. The first few shots pushes the "pucker factor" real high ;D ;D ;D