Author Topic: Finnished Shaft Diameter of Dogwood Arrows (Red Osier)  (Read 3565 times)

Offline blindarcher

Finnished Shaft Diameter of Dogwood Arrows (Red Osier)
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:49:41 pm »
Hi All,

I harvested about 13 shafts of Red Dogwood (Osier) a few months ago.  I have stripped them of their bark and have hand straightened over the past few weeks.  This is the first time I am making arrows from Red Dogwood and I do not know what to expect for what is a good diameter to reduce them to for use with a bow with draw weight of about 50#s.  I guess I could experiment and measure the spine, but I would like to be within the ballpark before having to do so.  So, I am looking for advice from other who have made arrows from Red Dogwood.

Cheers!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Finnished Shaft Diameter of Dogwood Arrows (Red Osier)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:57:18 pm »
11/32" on a 30" parallel shaft will get you 50#'s for sure if not more.Goood stuff!!!Best to let them season 6 months or at least 3 months anyway.I like to full length taper mine.5/16" to a fat 11/32".Grain weight will be 550 to 600 grains yet with a 125 grain field tip point on a parallel shaft.A little less full length tapered.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply BowEd.  Dopey me, I just saw your previous posting which is quite comprehensive.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 12:40:52 am »
I think you need to do it with your spine tester.  every shaft will be a little different.  If you want to match spine, you can't just go with diameter alone, I think.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:50 am »
My hardwood shoot arrows are about 3/8" at the point and 5/16" at the nock for a 30" arrow. The spine can be adjusted by lightly sanding in the mid section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:28:30 am »
11/32" on a 30" parallel shaft will get you 50#'s for sure if not more.Goood stuff!!!Best to let them season 6 months or at least 3 months anyway.I like to full length taper mine.5/16" to a fat 11/32".Grain weight will be 550 to 600 grains yet with a 125 grain field tip point on a parallel shaft.A little less full length tapered.
Basically I sand them of course individually to the spine I want using my homemade spiner.Grain weighing them also along the way of the process.What they end up to they end up to.I let the spine tell me,but usually as a general rule what I stated.To get 12 shafts within 20 to 30 grains of each other is rare for me but does happen.Dog wood is a very elastic dense type wood and for that reason they are tougher then timber split shafts that I've used like DF/spruce/and POC which seem a little more brittle but they stay straight nicer....lol..The main concern I always have with dogwoods is that they hold their straightness more so then making spine or weight etc.That I've found out takes time seasoning.
To take them down to 45# spine will give you a nice narrower shaft yet too if your using B50 string.If your using a FF string I've found the spine needs to be 5#'s stiffer.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:54:37 am »
I noticed a big difference in the spine between the stiff side and the weak side, sometimes 40# or more.  Is the finish spine weight the stiff side number or the average?  I would think taking down just the stiff side would weaken the arrow and change the roundness. 
To jump ahead in the process, I recommend the bare shaft testing be done one arrow at a time.  Trust me, it is easier on the shafts, especially if you get a tight group! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:04:26 pm »
To be totally honest I have never had a spine difference from one side to the other of 40#'s.Some 5 to 10 pounds at the most.Then the stiffer side goes against the bow.A full length taper can make that more forgiving yet too.Wiggles in a shaft can give some crazy readings but wiggles within reason.I shoot many true flying shafts with a little wiggle in them.A shaft as you described would not work for me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 11:49:55 pm »
I'll double check my numbers, but do have the heavy side marked.  May not have the shafts fully straightened as well.  I worked most of them down to 3/8 before checking spine..  I'm still learning this process.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry