Author Topic: Dogwwoods  (Read 5838 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Dogwwoods
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 09:20:43 pm »
I harvested some viburnums end of June. I just did some preliminary straightening a few nights ago. I really like how easily it Bent with a little heat.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:23:59 pm »
Cool.Perhaps in  time you could let me know how they compare to dogwoods in weight/spine/and thickness.Using dogwoods as a measuring stick compared to others.I know hazel makes nice enough shafts but a bit lighter in density so they need to be thicker for the same spine as dogwood.I dare bet dogwoods are probably some of the most dense shoot shafts.I also dare bet ocean spray may compare to it though and your viburnum.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:46:08 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
A little farther along in the process of shootable dogwood shafts.Still in bundles of 7 but most without the bark any more thinking they will cure faster that way.From left...newly harvested plum shoots and a few multiflora rose shoots to be debarked in a week or so and look like the rest to the right which are dogwoods.All harvested in the month of september.Rubber bands put tightly on some and I'm trying zip ties now too.The zip tied shafts need to be checked at least once a week for shrinkage and retightened then but believe it  wraps them vert tightly.Straightness checked then too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:50 am »
Those are some nice looking shafts ed! You mentioned about putting grooves in the shafts. An easy way to do it with tapered or barreled shafts, is with a block of wood with a v groove cut in it with the nail poking out. Then you can run it up and down the tapers. Cheers- Brendan

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 09:16:56 am »
Yes I've read and have seen of that too.A very slick way.Heat treating it slightly along the groove also.Have yet to experiment with that.Most times at least with my shafts leaving them season a long time will do the trick for staying straight.Seems it's a fairly long term process to acquire these shoot shafts,but to me anything that can prove old ways are as good as new is ok with me.
BowEd
Ed