Author Topic: Season over  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Little John

Season over
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:22 am »
I guess I am done for the season. It started great, getting into herds of elk with near shot opportunities both the first and second days of the season, Then got bucked off a young horse I was breaking. I think I broke a collar bone and don't know what else, now after 20 days I can draw a 45 pound bow back about 4 or 5 inches.  Getting better but don't see being able again before the end of the season.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Season over
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:43:54 am »
At least you were amongst em for a while.Sorry to hear that.You'll need more time to heal sounds like.Where were you hunting at?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:48:59 am »
Sorry to hear that, John. That's a tough way to have to end the season. That's why I like trail bikes, never got along with horses.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:51:10 am »
You "think" you broke your collar bone? Don't you think you should find out?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:47:04 am »
Not much they can do about Collar bone but let it heal, sorry to here that, that is a tough way to end the season. Hope all heals well. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:14:24 am »
You "think" you broke your collar bone? Don't you think you should find out?

Ok that made me laugh! I feel like I've heard that somewhere before... oh YEAH, it was my wife!!  :laugh:
Take em as she comes, John. Them elk'll be there.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:57 am »
God designed ur collar bone as a shock absorber to save your neck and shoulder. Ultimately it will sacrifice itself to try and save you. I feel off s horse at a Bahama NC trail ride, put my foot in the stirrup, swung up, fell right off the other side! LOL. Crushed my collarbone out of existence, dislocated my shoulder, broke the shoulder blade in 3 places. Spent the day at the hospital and walked out just like Pappy said, basically just like I walked in...  They said to let it heal and then recheck n it to see if it needed surgery!  Hey me and a bottle of Aleve and some Vodka went to the BBQ and dance that nite. They gave me a scrip for super pain killers, didnt take them until the next morning. Then was so bad I had to have someone take me and my horse and rig home. That's friends, they drove me 150 miles home and put my gear away, unhitched the truck. Then they had to drive 250 miles home to the other side of Bahama up in b Va. Moral of the story is as my doctor saI'd. Use that arm to keep your range of motion, throw the sling away!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:48 am »
If your arm hangs low, and you can't get it to shoulder height, it's likely the collarbone is broke!  If you can raise it, but it hurts like heck, you may have torn up the rotator cuff.  That should fixed. A chance to cut is a chance to cure >:D!  Either way, you gonna be a bit lame in that arm for a while!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:57:05 pm »
That's really sad, I hate to hear when someone's season is over. The good news,  If your arms hangs lower and it eventually heals, it could increase your draw length, that could get you a bit of arrow speed.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »
Dang, Kenneth. You're getting too old to be thrown off a horse. Sorry it get in the way of your hunting. Hope you recover soon and aren't too uncomfortable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 04:44:55 am »
Sorry your hunt was ended that way little John. I am glad it was your collarbone and not your neck or back. Heal up well
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 06:35:14 am »
Thanks guys, life is good.  Am  working now with a bit of pain, started back to riding the horse again, and can draw a 45 pound bow to about 20 inches. Five days left in the sea son, possible to take the 45 pounder out for a token hunt before it is all over and back pack out my ultra lite camp.  Still have about ten days left of the private land cow elk rifle hunt, just been buzzy helping my wife put up the garden produce. L.O.L.              Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 02:00:56 pm »
Good luck with the hunt!  Hopefully if you can pull the bow 20" without much pain, you didn't break anything, and are healing fast.  If you get a elk down, you may need to call in some help, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry