Author Topic: first morning elk hunt New Mexico, adding some photos  (Read 7145 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

first morning elk hunt New Mexico, adding some photos
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:16:47 pm »
Didnt have much time to scout,, but did see 3 elk last week on a morning scout,,
so I went there this morning at daylight,, and eased through the area ,,
I saw something in the brush ,, looked like a hog,, turned and came my direction,, it was a bear,,
thought I better put an arrow on just in case,, the bear was still coming to me at 15 yards,, the arrow bumped the bow,, I was in a bit of a hurry,, when it heard the sound it turned and ran,, problem solved,,
then I watched over a clear cut by a power line and thought I saw a mountain lion cross,, it was 300 yards off so I may be mistaken, but it had a long tail,,, and moved like a cat,,,,
didnt see or hear any elk,, but had a nice morning out with the other predetors,,, will keep posting as I get to go more this week,, they should start to bugle, the weather is cooling down up at 11,000 feet,, :)

I will try to remember to bring my camera next time,,
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:10:52 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: first morning elk hunt New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »
Pretty cool Brad, not surprised you didn't see any Elk with all those hunters out there.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:05:15 pm »
My last trip to Colorado I had a wolf within 25 yards of where I was hunkered down between 2 dead-falls. Never saw an elk but the wolf siting made it all OK.
 Good luck Brad. I'll be watching for updates.  :OK
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:32:36 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:23:26 pm »
Last year we were sitting high on the mountain in some dark timber after following a bull and several cows all morning. Was sitting on a log and here comes a pine martin. I did a little lip suction like a screaming mouse or something and that thing came to my feet and looked me in the face. I then thought about my beard and got worried. It turned and started away and I made the noise again. It turned and came back again looking right into my face. It turned and left and I didnt make any more sounds. Buddy got a poor phone pic as it was leaving. Talked to some locals and they said those things are mean and not scared of nothing. I felt lucky it didnt jump on my head. Beautiful animal. Nature can be awesome.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:54:46 am »
yep,, I had a great time just seeing the nature,, but it will be more fun if I see an elk, and even more fun if I get lucky enough to get a shot ,, :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:03:19 am »
We're all routing for you Brad.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:26:17 am »
Just to have that opportunity is enough to daydream about all week!

Have fun, be safe and good luck.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:51:59 am »
Brad....Yes I must say hunting in that type of country would be a very nice experience as is.I sure hope an opportunity arises for you!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:21:59 am »
take a camera with you
just some pictures for us blocked at work

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:29 pm »
we got into a nice heard of elk day before yesterday,,
it was the best chance I have had,, I was making a stalk to two bulls, they did not see me,,one was feeding,,
I was about 150 yards when I started,, and had closed the distance to about 80 yards,,, I had good cover and I had the wind too,, the cows were far enough away they could not see me,,

I felt I had a great chance to get into bow range as they might feed toward me as well,,,,
just when I felt a great chance at hand,,,, the two bulls spooked and ran toward me,,
I had arrow ready,, was standing and ready to shoot,, they stopped about 50 yards to me in some brush,,
then the big guy and I mean big,, started walking strait up the hill, and the little one followed,,,
that was my almost shot,,,

I tried to follow the heard,, but they were to fast for me going straight up,,,,,

my friend took photos of some of the places we hunted,, and when he sends them, I will post,,

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:03:40 pm »
Elk can go straight up some real mean hills!  Followed a couple years back up one slope, took my partner 3 hours to catch up with me, I was about to go look for him.  Said he got stuck on the slope and finally butt slid down to the bottom and came around!  Never did catch up to the elk! >:D
Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 07:32:20 am »
Good luck Brad. Another year before I go back. Keep us posted!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:27:02 am »
Pictures would be nice, but that story tells it well Brad. Thanks for sharing it with us flatlanders.
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:17:35 pm »
I will try to get pics asap,, my friend is still on the mountain,, when he gets back I should be able to post,,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 05:07:48 pm »
I am starting to add some photos from years past,,, same area and this year,, I have a couple of paintings of the area too,,