Author Topic: What length shafts ?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline legend

What length shafts ?
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:33:47 pm »
Hello all ,
As a basic question , what length arrow shafts would I need (making my own ) , I have a 27" draw length on a 35-40lb flatbow ? Where are the arrow lengths actually measured from ?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What length shafts ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:00:10 pm »
I draw 26" and cut my arrows at 30". I build arrows for hunting so the extra physical weight is good and I believe the extra length helps the arrow get around the bow.  You can cut your arrows at 28" which would give you plenty of room for the broadhead. An arrow is measured from the bottom of the nock throat to the point end of the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline legend

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:41:09 am »
Thanks Pat

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:12:07 am »
I also do like Pat and even though my draw is only 25" I use around a 30" if I can get it to bareshaft correctly with a 125 grain point.
I also like to hunt and like the extra physical weight of the longer arrows. It also makes your fletching more effective, basically giving it more leverage.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:54:59 pm »
Usually the length is measured from the throat of the nock (where the string goes) to the end of the shaft