Author Topic: Meat Rubs  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Meat Rubs
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
Who has some good meat rubs?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Meat Rubs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:16:52 pm »
I've made 2 batches, both different but with similar ingredients.  Basically they are salt, sugar(brown and/or white), garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, season salt, dry mustard, cinnamon, ground clove and basically anything you've got. I made mine for slow cooking Boston butts but have used it of sashimi grade tuna, chicken and other things. Some folks put ground coffee in it too but I haven't.
 Check out a Dollar Store of similar for cheap spices.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:57 pm »
Interesting!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:04:57 pm »
Had seared tuna for supper tonight that I added the rub about 1 hour before cooking. I got the skillet hot, added about a teaspoon of canola oil and seared the tuna until it had about 1/8" cooked then flipped it until cooked about the same with about 3/4" uncooked in the center. Man oh man it don't get much better. Had it with white rice and a rago (sp) with yellow squash, onion, garlic, mushrooms and grape tomatoes, salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce..  -C-
My wife likes to add a little sauce made from mayo and mango pulp balsamic vinegar over the seared tuna. I prefer it without.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:35:30 am »
Man, You're killing Me Pat ! Love Tuna like that, tho GOOD Tunas a bit hard to get here in Michigan  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:06:40 am »
Look in the frozen fish section. All of what I get is frozen and vacuum packed on the boat. We buy a few at a time when it goes on sale.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:08:05 pm »
Pat do you use that rub on almost everything?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:03 pm »
I keep trying it on different proteins(chicken, pork, fish)  and so far I haven't been disappointed. On meat I plan to slow cook(Boston Butt) I'll add a heavy coat of the rub 24 hours before cooking and keep it in the frig. For the tuna I sprinkled some on both sides within 15 minutes of cooking. Because it has so many flavors you'll have to judge how much to suit your taste.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »
I have an electric smoker I've done chicken turkey pork loin pork butt & brisket.
I'll have to mix up some & try it in the smoker.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:08 pm »
Trapper,
You might want to add in some thyme, tarragon, a bit of sage, ground Rosemary, and parsley, or is it parsley, sage, Rosemary, and thyme >:D -C-, then tarragon.  Be glad to send you some tarragon! PM me your address and I will mail some out.  I like to use a bit of sea salt, as well.  Maybe I will open a thread for marinades, got to be some good ones out there!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry