Author Topic: Grizzly broadheads?  (Read 7634 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Grizzly broadheads?
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:49:35 am »
Anyone hunt with the Grizzly Broadheads? What is your opinion of them? I bought a package of glue on 150 grain Bruins. Put a 100 grain steel insert bringing the weight to 250. I noticed the base has what appears to be a cut off bur around it. It is small but could slow penetration if not removed by file. They also needed sharpened due to the edge being cut and leaving a bur. It was easy to remove the bur and have a very sharp edge. Straight out of the package they are not ready to hunt with. Getting them glued on and cleaned up for the hunt is sort of fun and gets me involved more.

I am using them for elk and wondering how durable and what you guys think of them for deer and big game?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Grizzly broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:14:54 am »
I shot my first Primitive buck last year with a 125 grizzly single bevel. I was very happy with its performance. Arrowhead passed through shaft was sticking out opposite side about 8". This wasn't a real fast bow by any means. This arrow was a bit lighter, but I chronographed bow with 600 grain arrow at 129 fps. I did sharpen them up just a bit. I was close 9 1/2 yards on ground quartering away double lung so pretty good conditions and arrow well tuned to bow. I wouldn't be afraid to hunt Elk with them.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting don't forget to take pictures
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:31:53 am »
Seems it's a personal choice.Grant my buddy has been elk and deer hunting with them for years.I'm still using some left over stos & zwickey blades on these whitetails but do have a set of 6 grizzly 160 grain single bevels in the house.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:24:10 am »
Grizzly makes a very good arrow head, almost 3/1 ratio and if you can match the single bevel with the arrow rotation you can get bone breaking penetration.
Check out the Ashby(sp) broadhead tests on African animals. I believe the 125gr Grizzly broadhead came in #1.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:37:18 am »
I like my Eskimos alot, but the last two years I have carried Grizzly's. Haven't shot anything with them, but I can tell they will have no problems when I do. They are easy to sharpen.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:59:00 am »
Ive been using Grizzly heads for the last couple of years and not a problem. I took all five animals in Africa with them this year and have taken some big hogs in Texas with them as well. Great heads.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:43:59 pm »

Here's what a Grizzly did to my kudu.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 01:46:29 pm »

Here's what the inside looked like, complete pass through! This was the exit hole.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 02:33:54 pm »

Here's one of my Gemsbok. It centered a rib going in and still pushed through to the other side, leaving a blood shot spot where it hit the off rib before stopping!

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »

This is the arrow that did the job on the Gemsbok. 185 Grizzly and a 200 grain woodyweight!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:12 pm »
Is it true that Grizzly's are not made anymore?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 08:48:11 am »
Is it true that Grizzly's are not made anymore?
DBar
No they are still made and going strong!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:02:08 pm »
Grizzly's have always been my choice hunting hogs in Florida. I use 125gr. points because that's the weight of field point I 3-D shoot with. I've never had a problem with penetration if they are sharp.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 04:09:32 am »
I have used Grizzly with good success over they years and they are tough very good flying heads, easy to tune, no problems with them at all, but prefer Ace, just a personal choice and I know Bob with Ace and like dealing with him. ;) Nice pictures Mike and congrats. :) Love to go someday. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RAU

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 08:25:51 am »
I killed 2 deer with the 190 grain grizzly el grande that were from the original manufacturer. 1 with self bow 1 with glass recurve. They're made by the guy at zipper bows now I believe. Great heads both deer died quick. the ashby studies are very interesting, and grizzly heads got high praise!! That said I'm kinda into 3 blade heads right now