Author Topic: Making a bow from tree roots  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Tom Dulaney

Making a bow from tree roots
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:29:52 am »
Yesterday I dug up a big juniper root and split it in half. I was surprised at how springy the root was, despite being dripping wet. It can take a lot bend, as well. It has straighter grain and less twist than most juniper branches, and also a great natural recurve. I have no doubt that this stave, if dried out, would make a fast bow with a far cast, if given a good tillering, and a sinew backing. Has anyone here ever made a tree root sinew bow?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:06:34 am by Tom Dulaney »

Offline sleek

Re: Making a bow from tree roots
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:42:58 am »
I sire thought about it but never had an opportunity.  Go for it and let is know please. I imagine a root would be more stringy....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:43:02 am »
Funny you should mention that.  I had to chop a root out from one of my 4wheeler trails several years ago, the root was from a Spruce tree that had been blown over; Spruce is a fairly low density wood.  I was amazed at how dense and springy that root was and had the intention of trying it for a bow, just never got around to it.  I mentioned this to a member here a few years ago, he seemed to think it was not worth it but I know it is.  I would say go for it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:13 am »
I would imagine drying them down is the true challenge. With that much moisture in them I'm certain they will twist and check easily.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:13:45 am »
I have plans on cutting an Osage root that has been exposed by the river at work.  I'm curious to see what it does.  Good luck with your root bow
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:01:55 am »
Keep us updated on how it works. From clearing dead ash I'd say dry Roots act much different than wet ones. They burn a lot better to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »
I've tried and failed, my samples had no compression strength
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:29:35 pm »
. From clearing dead ash I'd say dry Roots act much different than wet ones.
Bjrogg
I'm not touching that.  >:D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »

May make a good backing strip for a laminate?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 03:41:19 pm »
May make a good backing strip for a laminate?

my first thought also, Sleek.

I did read years back about a native bow that was built like OO is describing. the taproot being the lower limb. Osage IIRC.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 04:00:56 pm »
One of the osage hedgerows I'm allowed to cut from has several big exposed roots. The look notably more orange than the rest of the tree. Always thought it would be cool to make a bow from a root. Definitely let us know it works out.  (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Tom Dulaney

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 05:14:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice and suggestions, guys. I did a little research and found out that the Nganasan people of North Russia made bows from larch roots.

From Marcus Lepola in "Arctic Bowyery":

There is also a single odd bow type that was used by the central Siberian Nganasans. Their composite bow was made of a several pieces of resinous strips of larch root that were glued together with codfish glue and wrapped with birch bark. A string bridge was also added to the bow. A bowstring of thong was fastened to the outer curve of the bow, a feature which also distinguished the Nganasan bow from bows used by neighbouring peoples. (Popov 1966: 22–24)

Another quote (in german) posted by Martti Kujansu on a different forum:

Der Bogen der Taimyrsamojeden schien auf den ersten Blick außerordentlich einfach; trotzdem gehörte doch erfahrene Kunstfertigkeit dazu, ihn herzustellen. Das Holz harziger Wurzeln der hochnordischen Lärche mußte das Material dazu liefern. War dieses Holz zweckentsprechend zugerichtet, wurde es mit Hilfe von Quappenleim mit Birkenhorke zierlich überklebt und dadurch teils gefestigt, teils vor Durchnässen geschützt. Die erfahrungsgemäß scwächsten Stellen der Wölbung kräftigte man durch vervielfachte Umwicklung mit Birkenborke. Schließlich verlieh ein Steg an jedem Ende größere Elastizität sowie auch die richtige Verteilung der Anspannung auf die einzelnen Abschnitte. Der Bogen wurde nämlich nicht, wie Laien vorauszusetzen geneigt sind, nach der Richtung seiner konkaven Seite, sondern zur konvexen hin gespannt

Google translation to English

The arch of the Taimyrsamoyeden seemed at first sight extremely simple; nevertheless an experienced craftsmanship was necessary to make him. The wood of resinous roots of the high-lord's larch had to supply the material. If this wood had been appropriately dressed, it was adorned with birch pork, with the aid of burbot glue, and thus partly solidified, partly protected from being soaked. The areas of the curvature, which had the best experience, were strengthened by multiplied wrapping with birch birch. Finally, a web at each end gave greater elasticity as well as the correct distribution of the tension on the individual sections. The bow was not inclined, as laymen were inclined, to the direction of its concave side, but to the convex side

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »

Which species of tree root did you use?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 10:09:05 pm »
I've handled osage orange root that was dried before.From huge brush pile clearings for farm pond construction.It did'nt seem to have the density the heartwood had in it's trunk and limbs above ground.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed