Author Topic: Staining Horn  (Read 5175 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: Staining Horn
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:30 am »
Poke berries!  They will stain it!

Those Polk berries have some lethal juices to them that would stain anything. But do they have them up North where Del is from.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 11:55:50 am »
Poke berries!  They will stain it!

Those Polk berries have some lethal juices to them that would stain anything. But do they have them up North where Del is from.
Just looked 'em up. They are not native to the UK :(
(I'm just North of London BTW)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 12:32:11 pm »
googled a bit and found something
try a search for: "  Dyeing Horn - Chest of Books  "    :OK

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »
googled a bit and found something
try a search for: "  Dyeing Horn - Chest of Books  "    :OK
Blimey, that's a bit above my pay grade ;)
But ta' for the heads up.
Del

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 06:12:03 pm »
Long ago I got to look at a guy's collection of Japanese swords.  Because I was respectful of the honor due these antiques and the history they collected to that point, he opened a special teak case to show me a black very plain handled katana with a cheesy black and glitter lacquered sheath.  I mentioned that the glitter kinda made the extraordinarily fine steel blade look kinda cheap.  He chuckled and handed me a jewelers loupe.  When I looked closely under magnification, each bit of glitter had several colors and appeared to have layers within.  Turns out it was abalone mother of pearl bits.  Sixteenth century glitter.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 02:41:56 am »
Long ago I got to look at a guy's collection of Japanese swords.  Because I was respectful of the honor due these antiques and the history they collected to that point, he opened a special teak case to show me a black very plain handled katana with a cheesy black and glitter lacquered sheath.  I mentioned that the glitter kinda made the extraordinarily fine steel blade look kinda cheap.  He chuckled and handed me a jewelers loupe.  When I looked closely under magnification, each bit of glitter had several colors and appeared to have layers within.  Turns out it was abalone mother of pearl bits.  Sixteenth century glitter.
Nice story...
"Because I was respectful"... yup :)  How many people would blunder along and miss the real show?
Del

Offline Martin Schutte

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 06:08:46 am »
Hi Del

I Am a knife maker as well and to dye Giraffe bone I use leather dye that is spirit based and take a plumbers torch and heat it up nice and toasty (just don`t burn it) then quench it in the pink dye or blue or whatever you want it to be, it will make a sizzle noise. That is bone and it sucks some dye into it, I don`t know what horn will do maybe it is an idea to to some experiments on. (-P

Regards Martin

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 02:30:09 pm »
ta for the ideas guys.
I bought an Acrylic pen blank to try out on a scrap of Yew with spectacular results.
I posted it on facebook and was beset by barrack room lawyers pointing out that the various societies call for "horn nocks"
Totally bonkers... are they saying Antler or bone isn't allowed? I also remember a guy who was Vegan being given a dispensation to use black nylon. Of course the various societies deny knowing of this... prob 'cos they never documented it and incorporated it into the rules.
I don't really care about the societies and I'll just make some nice horn nocks...
Still it was fun to try the acrylic.
Del

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 02:36:12 pm »
Looks like it turned out well Del. Very nice and you can see through it. Thats neat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 07:26:13 pm »
Tell them it's unicorn horn and that's just one of the color phases.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 03:07:08 am »
LOL, yeah, I'd forgotten about the colour phases :-[ (that's in TBB IV isn't it? )  That'd work...
I posted a question on the Official NFAS FB page only to be told Horn only.
I was then set upon by mocking idiots one of whom thought Deer shed their "horns" every year not realising that antler and horn are different materials..... so bone and antler are "not allowed" Sheesh and people wonder why I tend to shun the archery societies and competitions!
For completeness it was apparently the EWBS who allowed the use of non animal materials.
Del

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:10 am »
Dang Del, scared to admit it but that looks pretty sharp. Nice job, it should work nicely for your ladies bow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »
LOL, yeah, I'd forgotten about the colour phases :-[ (that's in TBB IV isn't it? )  That'd work...
I posted a question on the Official NFAS FB page only to be told Horn only.
I was then set upon by mocking idiots one of whom thought Deer shed their "horns" every year not realising that antler and horn are different materials..... so bone and antler are "not allowed" Sheesh and people wonder why I tend to shun the archery societies and competitions!
For completeness it was apparently the EWBS who allowed the use of non animal materials.
Del

Eh, dont hold it agaisnt them bud. They are just trying to preserve the sanctity of their group. Kinda like us, we dont let fiberglass in.....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others