Author Topic: what length arrow  (Read 2438 times)

Offline legend

what length arrow
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »
Advice needed please ,
For a wood laminated Hungarian style horse bow 140cm length  , 40lbs draw weight and a draw length of 26 inches , what length arrows would be ideal ? Could I use 26 inch arrows with the arrow head obviously extending over the back of the bow ?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: what length arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:00:56 pm »
That would depend on your draw length unless you one of the ancient overdraw devices.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:33:04 am »
I'd be more likely to go with longer arrows if the bow isn't particularly efficient with lighter arrows, or if I didn't want maximum speed.
If you want light arrows, I'd try to make it so the arrow/field point sticks out of the back by just an inch (more for a broadhead..)

I tend to use 32" arrows (nock groove to base of field point) with 26-28" draw, and also 32" draw. For the latter, I release when I feel the head to avoid overdrawing. Though it's tricky to do consistently..

There's some contradicting evidence that longer arrows are more spine forgiving. Seems legit in my experience
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:41:50 pm by loon »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:37:16 am »
I use full length shafts with my Horn bow, pulling close to 33-34" with a thumb ring.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:29:02 am »
I draw 26-26.5, and use about 30-31" arrows either to provide a safety margin to the head, or because I'm too lazy to cut them down!  Another thread mentioned some sort of marking at your draw length to prevent overdraw, I anchor the same all the time because that point is what I learned and engraved in my muscle memory.  I do plan to put some sort of do marker on my current batch of shoots, for decoration if nothing else.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry