Author Topic: Hello from Downunder  (Read 7251 times)

Offline HunterHerne

Hello from Downunder
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:13:51 am »
Hello All. Thanks for adding me to the forum.  I live on the East coast of Australia and have been shooting bows since I was about six, which was a long time ago.  I've made a few bows along the way, but not in recent years.  I got the bug again a couple of years ago, when I joined a Viking re-enactors guild.  Holmegaards are a new interest and I have one marked out in Tasmanian Oak. My PA interests are less in hunting these days, although I still have my old faithful PSE Stinger, and more in accurate historical / primitive / ancient archery side of things; Welsh/English Longbows too.  I have a semi-pyramid bow of Tasmanian Oak in tillering now and a full pyramid marked out.  Somehow I have inherited a couple of nice English Longbows from a friend, both of Australian Spotted Gum.  Unfortunately one of these has a nasty hinge forming due to cracks  in the back of the lower limb, so I am keen to see if I can glean some info on possible repairs (maybe a backing?).  I try to keep things natural and have been experimenting a fair bit with Polish Linen twine (flax) lately for Flemish twist strings. Arrow making is a weak experience point for me, but I'm sure I will learn a lot here on PA.  Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all over time and hopefully contributing as well.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Hello from Downunder
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:48:46 am »
Welcome to PA, Hunter!  You will get a wealth of information from the folks on this site.  I'm a bit of a  "primitive repat" also, and am relearning many unused skills, and gaining new ones.  There are some very fine craftsmen( and women) on the site.  There are a number of other international members, so you get world wide information.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:53:42 am »
Welcome to PA. Pull up a seat and don't be bashful.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:36:17 pm »
Welcome to the PA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:11 am »
Welcome, I think you will enjoy it here. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 06:58:03 am »
Welcome to PA HunterHerne, I think you'll like it here. This site just kinda proves it's a small world. Lots of good people on here from extremely talented and experienced to complete novices thrilled to be making their first bow and everything in between. There's a spot for everyone here as long as they can follow a very short and reasonable list of rules. Look forward to seeing more and sharing more with you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise