Author Topic: Christmas Trade Work  (Read 26585 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Christmas Trade Work
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:36:41 pm »
You guys can post here what your working on.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Christmas Trade Work
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »
I'm not sure if you could call this "work" but I'm well on my way to having a bunch of shitakes to dehydrate, vacuum seal, and send in my victim's Christmas package! I'm gonna try to forage for a bunch of other gourmet mushrooms as well. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:11:19 pm »
upstatenybowyer we just had some hen of the woods the other day. Fry them up in some butter & garlic.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:20:03 pm »
Never had that kind of mushroom, sounds lIke and awesome thing to send. I still don't have any ideas yet myself. I'm hoping to harvest and tan a hide or two to send. Not sure what yet though.

Kyle

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:55 pm »
upstatenybowyer we just had some hen of the woods the other day. Fry them up in some butter & garlic.

mmm!  -C- Haven't seen them yet, but they're coming! This is a great time here for Black Trumpets, porcini(no bugs), and lion's mane as well.

Mo, a hide sounds awesome. Perhaps some jerky too?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:56 pm »
Got a nice crop of Casacades Hops, and the tarragon is bonkers again, and pungent!  Still trying to use up the '15 crop -C-.  Had some on the elk burgers tonight!   Hops are vacuum sealed and frozen, still got some Nuggets to seal and freeze.  Might try that with the basil, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
Robin got some oyster mushrooms the other day.I was skeptical knowing nothing about them.They were very good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:34 pm »
I leave all the mushrooms in the woods except for morels they come home with me. Really not a big fan of mushrooms.
Not sure what I am going to put together for my guy yet.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:41:10 pm »
Eating mushrooms from the woods is risky business. I spent 5 years studying with a local mushroom group lead by a professor of mycology before I ever brought them home for the table. There are a few that are pretty much foolproof though.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 06:01:45 pm »
Gathered most of my materials.. Have a plan of action.. Now to find time.. Why does it get busy at work during deer season?
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 09:21:57 am »
I'm curious if anyone else had any interest in doing snake shed backings in bows? If so then I'll send a couple in the package. I've got a few collected and my big girl is about to shed again. She's an Enchi ball python that is now big enough that one skin should cover a bow well. Once applied you get a scale pattern and its faint, but you can see the pattern from the animal. There's no guarantees she will peel it off in one usable piece, but there's a chance. Sometimes they rip them or they get peed on. She's a bit over 4' long and soda can diameter now, and their sheds are generally 20-30% larger than they are. They are easy to apply if you take your time, and being from a small Python are a lot tougher than those found from a rat snake.
So any interest as a filler?

Kyle

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 06:56:06 pm »
Nothing wrong with that. I've never seen one used but I'd sure love to.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 07:12:12 pm »
Nothing wrong with that. I have never used snake skin, but would like to try it out. I am into pretty much anything even remotely bow and arrow related. Along with most things primitive. I am thinking of putting together a package similar to what I gave last year. Basically a bow and arrow making package. Stave, shafts, handle/overlay material, maybe some fletching, and trade/ stone points. What do y'all think? Cheers- Brendan
P.s. oh and I Knapp too!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:46:03 pm by penderbender »

Offline UtahChippewa

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 07:22:37 pm »
All is good with me, any raw materials, bow staves, arrow shafts, finished bows, finished arrows, flint, rock, skins, even shrooms! I'm game. If ya made it, gathered it, found it, or borrowed it! That's what this trade is all about.  )P(
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 09:00:01 pm »
They all sound like good gifts to guys. Kyle I'd love to try a Shed from your Boa. I use to have a small bull snake and two tarantulas. It was always so cool when they shed. The tarantulas especially. There would be the old worn faded shed and the bright brand new shinny real spider. Still amazed how they can do that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise