Author Topic: Wood sinew horse bow  (Read 13638 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Wood sinew horse bow
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 09:26:42 pm »
great work.

bownarra

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2019, 01:26:59 am »
It is slow because the wood has started to break down. I would suggest you don't bother reflexing the handle area. Deflex the fades like you have done but then reflex the limbs not the handle. The shorter the bow the more deflex out of the handle. This will really help with the set. Use a parallel width for the limbs as this needs more thickness taper leaving the outers thin enough to accept and hold the reflex. Also the tips don't have to be much in front of the handle. Think about reducing stress getting to brace so the wood has something left for getting to full draw without crushing all those belly cells.
Cool to see someone thinking out of the box :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 06:17:33 am »
It is slow because the wood has started to break down. I would suggest you don't bother reflexing the handle area. Deflex the fades like you have done but then reflex the limbs not the handle. The shorter the bow the more deflex out of the handle. This will really help with the set. Use a parallel width for the limbs as this needs more thickness taper leaving the outers thin enough to accept and hold the reflex. Also the tips don't have to be much in front of the handle. Think about reducing stress getting to brace so the wood has something left for getting to full draw without crushing all those belly cells.
Cool to see someone thinking out of the box :)

I reflexes the handle because I liked the look. Purely superficial. If the bow had not been given to me already sinewed, I would have reflexes the limbs, but doing so after the limbs are sinews would be a waste of effort. If I do this type if build again, I will most likely follow the steps you outlined, but I was restricted by what I had to work with.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ohma2

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2019, 10:49:00 am »
Getting it done without damaging the sinew was a feat alone ,you showed alot of forethought in putting it all together.thats a truly unique bow,and good lookin to boot.

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2019, 11:48:05 am »
Thanks very much. It was a fun build, may do it again soon. It isn't too slow. 155-162 fps is pretty average unless I'm mistaken. However, if it werent so narrow for its draw weight it would have been faster. I like to be in the 170s and up, but 155 will take a deer with a 435 grain arrow, no question.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others