Author Topic: Holy Sh%take!  (Read 1287 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Holy Sh%take!
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:16:22 pm »
For those of you who grow your own shitake mushrooms and know what you're doing this will come as no surprise.

In the spring of last year I inoculated a fresh cut American Beech log w/ spores and sealed up the plugs w/ beeswax. The catalogue I bought the spores from said to wait a year and the mushrooms should start to grow.

Well, this spring I anxiously awaited a huge flush of delicious mushrooms  -C- and alas, nothing!  >:(

I kept waiting only to remain disappointed.  >:( Then, we ran into one of my wife's childhood friends who grows shitakes and she told me where I went wrong.  ???

She said you have to soak the log in water for 24 hrs to trigger mushroom growth.  :o

So I did, and eureka!!!!

Can't wait to dehydrate a bunch and send them in my Christmas trade victim's goody box! :OK )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Holy Sh%take!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:11:35 am »
Those are looking real tasty Jeff, I've been a good boy this year you can put me on your nice list.lol. The farm I live on had a cement pit for storing manure in. I have never used it and don't ever intend to, at least not for manure. I have thought of growing mushrooms in it though. Always reminds me of a shirt one of my buddies had. It was something like " They treat me like a mushroom, leave me in the dark and feed me S%#t
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35:52 am »
You're always on the nice list BJ. ;) Sounds like a good spot you've got for growing mushrooms. It's a bit of work to get the logs inoculated, but after that they should keep producing for at least 5 years. Like everything else, they taste way better fresh! (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:44:50 pm »
 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.