Author Topic: Should I be concerned?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Tahosa

Should I be concerned?
« on: September 09, 2017, 05:38:09 pm »
I saw this after I shot the bow about 20 times but I did not pay close attention while I was making the bow.  Is this a stress fracture? and what should I do about it?  I took about 10 more shots through it and it didn't break but I am worried to do more until I hear from the pros.  It is on the left side middle of the picture.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  This is on the back of the bow and is board hickory, it is just on the surface and not deep.
20170909_160018 by Patrick King, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:08:21 pm by Tahosa »

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:31:50 pm »
hard to tell from the pic,
can we see the bow unbraced and at full draw
and maybe another pic of that spot,,
the back looks like the grain is not so great,, but maybe the hickory can take it,, depending on length and draw,, etc,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »
You have some grain runout on the back of that board. The grain should be straight or nearly so from tip to tip.

That does look like a a stress fracture. I would wrap  it with thread set in epoxy.

Start another asap. Look for straight grain stock.

My site has info.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tahosa

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:07:20 pm »
Thanks, I will do that.  This was just some extra Wood I had laying around so figured I would give it a go.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:38:48 pm »
If that's on the back of the bow it would worry me.  It may last another 500 shots or it could break the next time you shoot it.  I would string  the bow, put some thin super glue in the crack, and then unstring it.   Then I would wrap it with sinew and hope for the best.  As the sinew is drying I would start on another bow.  Good luck with it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tahosa

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
Will do!  I have yet to try and sinew a bow so this would be a fun one to try! 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 09:50:05 pm »
I meant put a sinew patch and wrap around that spot.   Save your sinew for backing a bow that is designed for it from the start.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »
I would rather scrape it off completely and lower the expected draw weight. I would still back it at least with linen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 12:43:22 pm »
If that is a crack on the back I would scrap it. Hickory doesn't break unless it has been infected by fungi.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
I agree with Pat. Its a tension tear and not on a grain line. Something is amuck with your lumber. It will fold over sooner than later. Wraps and patches aren't any good on tension repairs. They work okay for popped splinters or maybe an unruly knot. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.