Author Topic: Bend radius and compression loading of osage  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Bend radius and compression loading of osage
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:25 pm »
I am in the doing it by feel crowd. Trying to understand the mass theory and how it applys to the species. I am currently using primarily Osage . I have been moving the mass for awhile now . Steve and Tim have already done this so I am probably just proving what they have already done. :-) oh we'll hardheaded people have to make their on mistakes. :-)  I learned a lot about arrows in the flats!
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 02:23:56 pm »
Arvin

Just wondering if "osage is king" at the flats? Not trying to be a smart ass, as osage is certainly proven to be the best for a lot of things, but have you been considering any others for flight shooting?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:10:17 pm by willie »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 03:00:21 pm »

My intuition tells me to first consider the species and quality of the stave I'm using

Jeff that was a great quote not all wood is created equal  and it heavily influences design & mass placement  that's something I had to attend some classes of hard knocks to figure it out ,now I let the wood tell me what kind of bow it wants to be rather then forcing my design on the wood !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 11:17:29 am »
Well Willie Steve still holds the record with a Osage bow so I guess it is. My Osage was 20 yds short but I will blame 15 of that on arrow design. Mine was poor to say the least. But there is next year! And time to build some arrows and bows.  I had two blow on me . One the string broke and the other the upper limb. I was shooting flight arrows that weighed less than 200-250 gr. Also I think the bows got too dry . Last day I wrapped best bows with wet towel over night. No problems but shooting 450-500 gr. arrows  instead of arrows half the weight. Not sure what the real cause of failure was. Arvin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:32:25 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!