Author Topic: when to spine rivercane shafts ?  (Read 6286 times)

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
when to spine rivercane shafts ?
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »
 Hey Guys,
  I just finished building a spine tester. I also have a bunch of river cane. Is it best to straighten, and maybe sand down the nodes before spinning?  What do you guys think is best?
 Thanks, Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: when to spine rivercane shafts ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:29:25 pm »
If your posts set at 26" are rigid you will have to have straight shafts. With one adjustable upright you can spine them before straightening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:44:56 pm »
Hi Pat,
   My posts are not adjustable, however I have dial calipers that I can lower the slide to just touch the arrow, then set it to "O"
 I guess I really didn't ask the question properly. As for as the outcome of the shaft, is it better to straighten first, then spine, or spine first, then get it straight?
 Steve

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:48:17 pm »
I spine, straighten,  and then spine again with cane or bamboo shafts. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:08 pm »

Yep, though spineing unstraightened cane is often an adventure.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:31 pm »

Yep, though spineing unstraightened cane is often an adventure.

It's pretty easy with my spine tester

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 10:34:02 pm »
What Clint said. The heat used for straightening can stiffen a cane shaft some.
 Remember also because of the natural taper the spine value and but used with a range of draw weights.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:01:31 am »
What Clint said. The heat used for straightening can stiffen a cane shaft some.
 Remember also because of the natural taper the spine value and but used with a range of draw weights.
Yes that natural overall taper can be very forgiving to shoot off different bows.I'm wondering with rivercane whether it would hurt it any to give it a taper?It does'nt with dogwoods but that's wood.Rivercane is a grass correct?Like bamboo.Maybe not since the outside fibers on bamboo are where the power is.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:48 am »
Ed, tapering the outside of cane wouldn't be good but they flay so well anyway it isn't really necessary. I have tapered cane to accept a glue on point but not more than that.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 09:20:27 am »
Cool...Then it's just a matter of selection of your shafts then.Kinda wish that stuff grew over here.Guess it can grow thick as hair on a dog.Would like the toughness aspect of the shaft also.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:44:50 am »
Ed, remind me after the first of the year and I'll send you a bundle of hill cane.   :OK

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 09:58:22 am »
Do you prefer it to river cane Pat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:00 am »
Aaron, there are 3 native canes(bamboo) in the US, all grow in the Southeast. River cane(Arundaneria gigantia), Switch cane(A. tecta) and Hill cane(A. appalachiana). River cane grows to about 15' tall, 3/4" to 1" in diameter, has a large center hole, thin walls, pronounced nodes and a pronounced sulcus(indentation above the node). It makes a good arrow but not as good as the other two. Switch cane grows to 6" to 7" with smaller center hole and thicker walls . The nodes aren't as pronounces as river cane and these make very good arrows. Hill cane was recently re-designated as it's own species. It is similar to switch cane but the nodes are less pronounced with a small center hole, thicker walls, the internodes are round and almost no sulcus. It is the only native cane that is deciduous, loosing it's leaves during the winter.
 I prefer hill cane not only because it grows along the creek that runs through my property but the guy that taught me to build shoot and cane arrows(Art Butner, aka artcher1) liked it the best of any cane he used.
 I think most folks don't know the differences in these canes so they call all of it "river cane". Also, there are lots of Asian bamboos that were introduced into the US, some make good arrows and some don't because of their size.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:41 am »
Excellent info Pat, Thanks.  If you have a good year, I would love to give some hill cane a try as well Pat.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:13:04 pm by Aaron H »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:43:07 am »
Hill cane is my favorite as well.  It's almost solid.  Usually I can taper the end for a glue on point without having to plug it.  I think they are easier to straighten as well.