Author Topic: enclosed tube quiver  (Read 6884 times)

Offline archeryrob

enclosed tube quiver
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:49:37 am »
Anyone made one of these to protect your fletching? I carry a military type backpack when bow hunting and made  a mount for a bow quiver to snap on to it. The pack falls over and crushes fletching against stuff. Also tree branches are very nice when hiking in also. Thinking about making a PVC one as a test similar to the Bowmate Elite quiver that can attach to the pack. Maybe a wood or bark later on.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Aaron H

Re: enclosed tube quiver
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:27 am »
Beadman makes a great rawhide quiver very similar to the one pictured.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
archeryrob.....It's an option on the kind I make out of rawhide.A rawhide cylinder over the end enclosed on the end over the fletching.Never had a need to make it for it though.The one you pictured is very nice durable one but probably costs over 100.00 dollars.I make these very cheap material cost wise.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:14:47 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:23 am »
Beadman makes a great rawhide quiver very similar to the one pictured.
How you coming with things there Aaron?I'm sure your rawhide cat quiver will look a lot better then mine....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:58 am »
I got quite a bit of work done to it Ed, but then got side tracked with preparing for hunting season.  I really wanted to use your quiver this year, but I felt I needed to get a better matching set of arrows built first.  I still hope to use it this hunting season, but it may be later on.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:31:23 am »
Cool.Yes I hear you about these arrows.They take some time too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:06 am »
How stiff are those? I still got a doe skin with the hair on in the freezer. I was too busy building a patio and refinishing the garage and building cabinets to do anything this year with it.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »
How wet does rawhide have to get to loose it's shape? Can you coat it with anything to help?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:32 pm »
The rawhide is from beef hide.Dried I'd say at least 1/16" to 1/8" thick rock hard and stout.I've impregnated them with bees wax before and not too.Been in rain showers too.It takes a lot more then that to loosen anything on them.Ask Aaron.
Deer hide would be too thin I'm afraid.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 11:20:43 pm »
I was going to use dog chews which is beef I assume. How did you impregnate it with bees wax? If you do it before rolling you couldn't get it wet and if you do it after rolling you can't do the inside.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:10:05 am »
The bees wax is rubbed on from a chunk shape and heated to let the wax soak in.It is done on the inside before the end plug is put in.The outside circumference is large enough to allow your hand in there.The diameter is 3.5" across.Length is a personal choice.Anywhere from 24" to 30".
You can spray a poly or lacquer finish on too if you like instead too.My first one I used campbells soup cans as a form with the rawhide wet and sewn together..Nowadays I  use a PVC pipe.
What's needed is a piece of rawhide 13" by 24" & enough for a 4.5" circle plug.The PVC pipe measures 11" around so the rawhide is oversized for clamping reasons.After soaking a good 5 to 6 hours or so the rawhide is wrapped around the PVC pipe.2 strips of wood 2' long/a good 1/4" thick and 1/2"wide are clamped onto either side of the edges and while wet a speedy stitcher is used to double stitch sew the edges together along the bottom edge of the rawhide the whole length or along the bottom edge of the wood strips really.I use artificial sinew and I used a series of vise grips every 4" for clamps.Allow a good full day or two for it to dry at least.Then cut your long elptical access hole in with a stiff sharp blade after it is dry.Usually leaving a good 4" tube bottom for the tips of the arrows to fall into securely.Caution.....It will dry very tight around that PVC tube.Cutting out that hole will relieve it some but will still be tight.A 2nd PVC short piece of tube can be used to pound the 2' length tube from out of the rawhide.For the bottom plug on the tube I use an awl to make holes because it is hard.I soak the plug in water and sew it into the hard tube.
Hope I explained that legibly to understand.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:18:42 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 07:50:30 am »
The rawhide is from beef hide.Dried I'd say at least 1/16" to 1/8" thick rock hard and stout.I've impregnated them with bees wax before and not too.Been in rain showers too.It takes a lot more then that to loosen anything on them.Ask Aaron.
Deer hide would be too thin I'm afraid.
There is no doubt, these things are tough!  And light weight to boot.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 10:44:01 am »
Thanks Ed. I was using a piece of rawhide I had and it only made a 2 1/2" circle so I'm going to have to be creative to get inside. I was wondering if you soaked it in poly instead of just water if it would dry waterproof. I think I'll try a small test.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:10:34 pm »
DC...You may have one of these but I meant to show you this speedy stitcher I've had for decades.Every leather worker needs one of these.I feel I've sewed miles of stitching with this tool.In situations it saves time[alternative of using 2 needles for a double stitch seam] and does good work.I use full thickness waxed artificial sinew.

A wrench tool and extra needles are stored in the butt of the handle.An A+++ tool.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:25 am »
Those quivers of Ed's are quite impressive. Soooo light weight and yet tough.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857