Author Topic: Detecting set  (Read 3131 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Detecting set
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 06:52:31 pm »
The straight edge will work on bows with a bit of waggle.  I typically heat that out as I prefer a flat level belly.  But even with odd areas, you just account for them.  On areas that are bending too much, I put an X through that area on the belly.  I take wood off the areas outside the X, leaving it alone.  Somewhat of an eyeball thing, but just monitor the gap.  I have used the outline many times and it works fine.  It's just quicker for me to use the straight edge.  I do like Jawge mentioned in that I put the tips against the wall and measure to the back of the handle.  With any reflex your tips are forward the handle.  If I see that measurement start to drop I know I need to assess where.  That's when I use the straight edge and compare it against what I had earlier.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 07:09:49 pm »
DC

I should have been more explicit about the gage block. the pencil holder can be like the one in the gizmo.

the block it's self can be round, about the size of a loonie, flat on the bottom, but  about an inch or so tall, so that it always contacts the same point on the back when the bow is laid on it's side on the bench.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:26 pm »
Do you have a picture Willie? I'm not following you.