Author Topic: HLD question  (Read 2349 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

HLD question
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »
I've searched the site for a simple explanation of what makes the HLD design desirable and I can't seem to find one. Feel free to direct me to a thread that does this, cause I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time.

That said, is there a fairly simple explanation? I would think all the compression would be along the ridges, which doesn't sound like a good thing. If it's not and actually gets evenly distributed across the concave belly, that makes sense cause there'd be more surface area and less mass. If that's the case, why go with shallow D section limbs? Seems like those would give more surface area but add mass.

Man am I confused! :-X
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Will H

Re: HLD question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:36:43 pm »
Simon wrote an article in Primitive archer Magazine about it. Volume 24 Issue 5 I believe. I think its what your looking for. Its on his website under "Thoughts" as well.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »
Simon wrote an article in Primitive archer Magazine about it. Volume 24 Issue 5 I believe. I think its what your looking for. Its on his website under "Thoughts" as well.

Sweet. Thanks Will. Sounds like just the thing!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 07:26:47 pm »
Wow. That was very well written and explained Simson. I'm almost afraid to try it, cause it'll feel like starting back at the beginning again. But the article is convincing enough to give it a try.  ;)

Now if I can just find the perfectly crown stave...  )W(

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:44:09 am »
And you can always look on his website, he has the article there as well. I have no idea if I can post a direct link here so if this is not allowed please remove this:  http://primitive-bows.com/hld-a-new-progressive-design-for-selfbows/

Working on some hld's right now and it seems they all come out as the best performing bows I made.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 07:51:24 am »
@Leonwood, this is a beautiful bow you are making! Great job!

Cheers,

Phil

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:58:12 am »
@Leonwood, this is a beautiful bow you are making! Great job!

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks Phil! Took a lot of pictures of my latest bows yesterday so when I sorted them I will post a few on PA

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:28 am »
@ leon: thanks for answering!
@leon & Jeff: folks i#m really interested what your are doing in HLD. Also curious about your insights on that theme. Let me know!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:29:22 am »
@leonwood: I am looking forward to see more pictures of the bow. I really like the handle on it as well, looks very elegant!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 12:39:20 pm »
@ leon: thanks for answering!
@leon & Jeff: folks i#m really interested what your are doing in HLD. Also curious about your insights on that theme. Let me know!

Will do Simon! I am working on an elder hld at the moment and have a yew shorty roughed out. Will post full stories when done. (Will take a while because my bowmaking time is limited)
However I can say that I quite enjoy the process of hollowing out the limbs. Works a little slower but somehow get to feel the wood a lot better while working with the scrapers.
I also have the feeling that the hld bows are better performers but am still looking for sister staves to make two exactly the same bows. One with a flat belly and one with a hollow belly and compare them on the chrono.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 12:46:51 pm »
@leonwood: I am looking forward to see more pictures of the bow. I really like the handle on it as well, looks very elegant!

Thanks! This is a hazel bow I made to try out the hld concept. It is only 45@28 but shoots really snappy and is extremely light in the hand. The tiller is a little off so I am not sure if I will post it here. Will put some pics on my flickr and post them for the people who are interested

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »
That is a real neat bow!  Something to work toward as a rank beginner!  Seems like there will be a lot of chips and dust wo get to that level!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 10:26:39 pm »
what if one made a bow with both HLD and perry reflex? ie a bamboo backing... hahaha
i guess the glue line would be under tremendous stress and it'd be very tricky to glue convex to concave

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 07:28:41 am »
what if one made a bow with both HLD and perry reflex? ie a bamboo backing... hahaha
i guess the glue line would be under tremendous stress and it'd be very tricky to glue convex to concave

Sounds weird but I seriously thought about that! I have some fairy high crowned bamboo gathering dust here. Had the thought of hollowing the soft stuff out of the boo and then shape the opposite on some ipe and glue it together with some smoothOn for the inevitable gaps. Then tiller the ipe hollow as well and see what it does... Might try it for real now I am thinking it through a bit more :laugh: