Author Topic: Question for Bear bow experts  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Adam

Question for Bear bow experts
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:25 pm »
After reading some books and articles about Fred Bear, I'm getting interested in looking for a recurve at some point.  I'm not looking for a rare or collectable model, just a bow to shoot in the back yard and maybe deer hunt with.  My problem is that I know nothing about any particular models, fair prices or what to look for or look out for.  I haven't really found any websites or resources that have helped.  I'm leaning toward a Grayling made bow rather than a later Florida due to the history.  Any input or advice?  Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question for Bear bow experts
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:07 pm »
Eddie Parker (Mullet) knows a lot about Bear Bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:20:47 pm »
I know where one is, an old fre bear bow for good price.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 05:57:38 am »
Jeb is also very knowledgeable about Fred Bear and his bows.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:06:52 am »
Yea, JEB's Dad used to run a Bear Archery shop. The new Florida bows are really nice and a good, low price one is the new Grizzly. When you start looking for a Grayling some of those bows are really old so you take a chance on everyone. I usually pick them up from $25-100. Look for the limbs being twisted, sometimes you can straighten them and sometimes it's a Wall hanger.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:51 am »
Thanks for the info so far! Is limb twist usually visible when the bow is unstrung?  I'm also noticing a fair amount online seen to shown strung backwards.  Does this harm anything or is that an acceptable way to keep the string?  As you can tell, I know next to nothing about fiberglass bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 10:00:04 am »
If you draw 28" or more, I'd stick with a 58-60" bow or longer. The 48" and 52" Mag and Super Mag are cool little bows, but I prefer a bit more length for an easy shooting hunting bow. I wouldn't buy off flea bay, bunch of idiots on there and wading through them is a proposition. Go to Leatherwall and watch the classifieds there. You can easily get a shooter for $150 or so. I have a 1959 Grizzly Ill get buried with, but you probably wont find one cheap. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:06 am »
Matter of fact there is a1968-70 something Kodiak with six cedar arrows and Bear quiver for $150 on there as we type.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:13:31 am »
Most of the time you won't see the twist without it strung and drawing it. Watch for the bottom limb to start rolling to one side. That is usually the one that is twisted. It does not hurt to string it backwards unless you try to draw it. I usually leave mine strung, doesn't hurt a thing. I also check out second hand sporting good stores like Play It Again Sports or pawn shops  for bows. It has to be exceptional for me to pay more than $50. Big Jim also has some good prices on used Bear Bows.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 08:30:15 pm »
Thanks gentlemen for all the great information, I really appreciate it!  I'll continue to keep an eye out.  I'm not in a big hurry as I have too many projects going at the moment as it is, but I wanted to know what to look out for.

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »
There out there. You just have to keep an eye out for them. I have bought them for as low as  $5.00.

I would suggest a Grizzly , Kodiak or Kodiak Hunter. Keep your bow in the 60" long range as longer bows are a bit easier to shoot or at least to learn how to shoot. As far as limb twist. Take an unstrung bow and place one tip on the floor and look down from the other limb. If it has a bad twist , it will show. You can also string the bow and grab the limbs about half way up and pull the strung back holding the bow mid-limb. If it is twisted the string will not drop in the string groove.

Got an idea what you are looking for, draw weight and price?

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
Thanks JEB!  Great information about limb twist, thanks!  My draw is 28-29".  I'm probably looking for 45-50 pound draw.  The model doesn't matter to me too much, though as I was researching, the models you mentioned look good.  I know there are other great brands of recurves out there, I have become impressed with Fred Bear as a person and of his company’s history and would like to have a Bear.  Pricewise, I wasn't really sure what to expect.  I had only looked online auctions, though I wasn't too interested to buy from there (many descriptions mention the sellers don’t know anything about bows), but I sure haven’t seen any in the $5-50 range.   I haven't seen any for sale locally that I can inspect in person.  The nice thing is I’m not in big hurry, so I’ll keep an eye out.  I appreciate all the help!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 08:45:43 pm »
You will find that most are in the #45 range, it seems the norm for those days. And, I have paid $5 for a Sears & Roebuck version at a yard sale.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 04:02:26 pm »
I always look on C'List for the guy who has an add wanting to buy bows. At least in my area there are a few. These are usually collectors that buy up lots of bows, keep what they want, and sell off the rest to support their habit. I picked up a really nice 75 Kodiak for $100 and made a new bow-nerd friend in the process. I'm sort of a regular customer of his now.