Author Topic: made some pine pitch today  (Read 3025 times)

Offline timmyd

made some pine pitch today
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:24:08 pm »
first try doing this. I guess we shall see how it does.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: made some pine pitch today
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:23 pm »
What are your ingredients?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 05:55:59 am »
I'm also curious what your ingredients are Timmyd. I really like pine pitch glue when you get the mix right. I hope it works good for you. If you have any problems with it let us know, maybe we can help you tweek your recipe if it needs it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline timmyd

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:46:29 pm »
well I'm not really sure what I'm to be looking for to be honest. it dried hard not spongy at all. I melted some to fill in some gaps of my hafting job and it seemed to do that fine. I used charcoal ash from my grill and dried rabbit droppings

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »
         Sounds good, I usually use some charcoal from campfire ground up real fine, but that might actually be better. I usually add some wax so it isn't quite as sticky.
       If I have it figured out right, if it's to brittle add some charcoal or fiber. If it's to sticky add a little wax.
       Sometimes it helps to let's it simmer for awhile to.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
I think you meant the other way around BJ.  Too brittle-add some wax, too sticky-add some charcoal.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 08:39:57 am »
     Guess maybe I got it wrong then Aaron. I usually just make a pretty good sized batch and play around with it till I like it.
     Timmyd the hard dry stuff is what you want. I believe you can use the softer stuff but need to cook it longer.
     I'm definitely not a expert at it but if you play around with it you'll come up with the right combination.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:48:05 am »
Iowabo did a real in depth study on this even to what kind of charcoal to use.I think it was willow charcoal used.I keep a ball of it on a stick made quite some time ago to my liking.I'm no expert though either.There's a consistency sought after that is'nt too brittle or sticky but doing the job mounting flint arrow heads like previous texters have said here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »
I wonder if anyone has a favorite tree type for sap? I have a few Jack Pine trees behide my house. I like the pitch from them better than the white pines I planted by my dad's pond.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 01:50:23 pm »
I've found that if you start with hard brittle pitch your pitch glue isn't sticky when cool. If you start with sticky pitch it is sticky when cool.
 I start with hard, brittle pitch, add bees wax to make it less brittle and add charcoal to add body. You can substitute animal fat to reduce brittleness and also other materials like dried rabbit or deer dung, saw dust, finely chopped straw and other materials to add body.
I never had a specific recipe but just put in the additives as I see fit for the consistency I need.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC