Author Topic: To Wonk, or not to Wonk (update)  (Read 4435 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: To Wonk, or not to Wonk (update)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 09:25:21 pm »
Nice work and good looking profile you got to start with.I've got one similar going on over here too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 05:53:32 am »
Good to hear Ed, keep me posted.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 05:17:43 am »
That's looking pretty doable now Jeff. If HHB Bent that nice that wonky one I made for my son probably wouldn't have been so wonky. I just can't seem to bend HHB like that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:35 am »
Yeah, nothing bends like osage. I've had enough success with it, I almost think of it like clay. With the right cauls and such we can convince it to do a lot.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 09:42:34 am »
I call osage rerod many times.Like bending rerod with a torch.At least compared to bending hickory and HHB with dry heat it seems.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 04:58:19 pm »
I call osage rerod many times.Like bending rerod with a torch.At least compared to bending hickory and HHB with dry heat it seems.

BowEd huh? I dig it. Was wondering who you were there for a second.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:55 pm »
Like many on here[especially you] the numbers of bows made within a year seem to make the non bow making archery shooters wonder.What's going on with this fella????That's the thoughts of my FG target shooting buddies over here have when ever I show up with a different bow at a 3D shoot.They picked out a name of BowEd for me while we shoot together.There are a couple that do make their own bows though too.
By the way how's that bow of yours coming?Usually at the last stage I saw it it is done the very next day and shooting.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 06:07:13 am »
lol. It's coming along, but with school in full swing this one may take a while. I did touch up the string alignment though, which is never easy to do after you've already steamed in reflex and recurves.  ::)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 08:21:27 am »
Nothing wrong with taking your time.The wood will be good and dry and ready then.Many times it gets a person to just interpret the bows qualities for a bow differently too.It can be the little details that one sees that'll make a difference in the end.Instead of charging right through the process.Looks like your on the cusp of bracing it to see what little else needs to be tweaked.Looks pretty good!!!!To add here I did'nt catch how long the bow is?
I'm at that point with this bow here now too.Fall work and hunting season is taking priorities over it now.I did go on a spree of collecting shoots for arrows though.Through harvesting them locally here and trading also.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:37:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 10:42:04 am »
x2 on letting it take its time.  The profile looks really cool with that bow, I like how you solved that.
1’—>1’

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »
That's looking nice love the profile how long did you steam it for ? Nothing is hurt by taking your time for sure I have so little bow time some times when I get home I just run my fingers over the stave I'm working on and look it over and discover little sutlties I didn't see before , looking forward to seeing this one shoot !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 05:58:18 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. There's no doubt I'm taking my time with this one. She's 66" long with a 6" static handle and about 8" of static recurves. That leaves me 52" of working limb, so I'd be pushing it a bit to draw it to my normal 27". Think I'll target the tillering to 55# at 26".

SB, I steamed the entire limb, one at a time, for about 1 hour before adding the curves and reflex. I set up a contraption outside over our fire pit for this. I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb