Author Topic: Limb length  (Read 1565 times)

Offline cutty

Limb length
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:22:34 am »
How many out there make the upper limb longer?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Limb length
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:37:53 am »
I have before on a number of bows.They still shoot fine.Like the way it carries in the hand too being front heavy through brush etc.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:49:52 am »
Generally I have arrow pass 1" above geometric centre which gives a slightly longer upper limb.
BUT... I made a bows with the lower limb actually longer by a couple of inches (I made it without any measuring) and it performed very so well that I've made others the same (Hazel primitive, wide flat limbs).
I don't think it makes much difference if it's well tillered.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 05:09:07 pm »
I always have. I prefer how they balance perfectly on my middle finger while carrying and pointing, and a longer top limb helps facilitate dynamic limb balance much earlier in the draw, and throughout, than a symmetrical design.

How much, or if, the center is offset determines in large part how the bow balances in the hand as the draw is begun... due to basic geometry. Limb strength, properly adjusted relative to our holds(tiller) can help overcome that geometry discrepancy and achieve dynamic balance more and more as the draw progresses in such a bow, but the farther from center our string hand begins the draw, the more harshly the bow wants to tip in the bow hand, and the more we have to make up for it in some way, if in fact we seek true balance. I prefer to design my bows so that the string is pulled closer to bow center, so that it's better balanced when the first ounce of pressure is applied to the string. My goal is balance, from carrying, to the point I lay my fingers on the string, throughout the entire draw cycle... not just at full draw. Discriminating folks should try it. It brings a more refined feel to the bow.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 05:12:39 am »
I've made them every which way but see no difference in balance or anything else.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »
what Jawge said,, )P(

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:45 am »
I usually lay out my stiff handle bow with same length limbs, but the arrow pass is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above center, I move up and down the handle a bit with my grip until I fine the sweet spot and that is where the arrow pass will go. I guess you could say the top limb is shorter because of where I hold my hand, with the bottom limb tillered a little stiffer. :) I have made a few with the top limb longer but never really seen any difference as some say they do. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:55:51 am »
Some folks don't notice it, some don't care, and that's good. Sometimes I wish I couldn't feel it either  :o but unfortunately I often know I won't like a bow before I ever get it drawn.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 06:06:50 am »
I look at a Yumi and figure there is quite a bit of leeway in all that stuff.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 07:19:35 am »
I tried a longer top limb a few times but could not feel anything different compared to equal length limbs. I tiller the last two or three inches to full draw by looking at my reflexion and feeling how it shoots. When it looks even and there's no shock I call it done.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 11:44:37 am »
Pat, that's a different animal. There are things going on in a Yumi that disqualify (or overqualify) it from a simple limb length discussion. And besides, if you watch them being shot in video, they're not all perfectly balanced/timed either.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 12:32:03 pm »
Pat, that's a different animal. There are things going on in a Yumi that disqualify (or overqualify) it from a simple limb length discussion. And besides, if you watch them being shot in video, they're not all perfectly balanced/timed either.

There is no simple limb length discussion then.