Author Topic: No set tillering question  (Read 3266 times)

Offline DC

Re: No set tillering question
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »
I just heat treated one limb and was just heading out to do the other so it will be a day or so before I bend it again.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 06:50:43 pm »
Good luck. Your bows always look great so I'm sure this one will turn out just fine.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 07:46:55 pm »
dont panic,, the bow is still in there, I bet after the heat treating it will be right on,, (=)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 08:58:27 pm »
Mark a  big x where the hinge is. Remove wood from both sides of the hinge leaving it alone. Exercise at short pulls until the hinge is gone. 

Yes, retiller the other limb to match.

The best way to fix a hinge is to not get one. Learn to back away from aggressive wood removal tools and use those that just remove small amounts. Check tiller frequently.

DC, did I read on here this is your first? If yes, IMHO just concentrate on getting a bow and don't worry about set.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 09:15:09 pm »
Mark a  big x where the hinge is. Remove wood from both sides of the hinge leaving it alone. Exercise at short pulls until the hinge is gone. 

Yes, retiller the other limb to match.

The best way to fix a hinge is to not get one. Learn to back away from aggressive wood removal tools and use those that just remove small amounts. Check tiller frequently.

DC, did I read on here this is your first? If yes, IMHO just concentrate on getting a bow and don't worry about set.

Jawge

I don't know where the weak spot/hinge is. That's the problem. Look at the picture at the beginning of the thread.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 09:18:02 pm »
I cant tell what part of the bow that is from the pic,,
can we see the whole bow,,

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:29 pm »
 That's the middle of the limb, tip on the left. It's been heat treated now and it doesn't look like that any more so there's no point taking a picture.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 05:08:14 am »
DC, respectfully but honestly, if you cannot tell if and where the stave is hinged then you should not worry about set. Leave that worry for bow #12 or so.

A hinge is where the stave bends too much in one spot in relation to the rest of the limb.

I cannot tell what is going on from that picture.

There are buildalongs on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 09:11:35 am »
Don has made more than 12 bows jawge. Not his first by far. Cheers- Brendan

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:38 am »
Oh ok. Sorry. Thanks. Jawge
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:21:50 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 01:19:33 pm »
ok from what I can tell in the pic,, that is the spot that might be a bit thin,,
just a suggestion,, take wood of the outers and toward the handle before you remove any wood there,,,
even if you heat treated,, ok but if that spot of the taper is too thin,, it might be a problem,, or is indicating that the limbs are not bending even,,
if we could see the bend of the bow, ,it would be easier to tell where it might be over stressed,,
the tiller would indicate if that part of the bow was working too hard in relation to the rest of the limb,, 
but at this point I am really guessing with not enough info,,

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »
Also while we're at this, the back of a stave is rarely even. It can go from flat to crowned to concave. How do your fingers and brain deal with that? Does that get into that other elusive talent, judgement call.

Pearly wrote "close your eyes", and I might add that spending a few minutes gauging the suspect area with multiple passes will give you an intuitive idea where the thin spot is.

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »
Here ya go. 43@26" Shot it a half dozen times. Robin Hooded(wd?) the third shot. Shoots nice and I still have to reduce the tips a bit. After heat treating and a little tillering I ended up with about 1/4" of reflex. More than happy with that. I'll tart it up a bit and post it later.

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 04:34:09 pm »
Looks like you got her all figured out.

I admit I am nit pickin here, but is your left limb not as bent as the right? The bend looks great on both, but maybe its shafow or something makung it look ever so slightly off?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41:53 pm »
Here's the unbraced pic. I think the left limb is a touch stiffer. It's the bottom limb. There is also a bit of a whoop-de-do mid-limb that makes a bit of a flat spot in the full draw. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it ;D ;D