Author Topic: confused about Bamboo horse bow  (Read 7635 times)

Offline legend

confused about Bamboo horse bow
« on: September 18, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »
Hello All ,
I am trying to find out as much information as I can regarding archery and bows in general by researching through PA forum , but I am confused about a certain bow . That being Dave Meades Bamboo horse bow which seems to go down well , especially in the US . Everything I read tells me that a bamboo bow should be constructed with the outer bamboo surface for the belly and the inner for the back of the bow . I am really curious to know why meads horse bows are constructed the opposite way round  and what if any difference this makes . It would be great to have some views from people who have bought one of Daves bows ?
Thanks

Offline willie

Re: confused about Bamboo horse bow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »
Bamboo is commonly used for a backing (with the outer surface for the back).

It might be interestering to read the references  that use the outer surface on the belly (and the inner for the back)

can you post some links?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:09:39 pm »
 Dave Mead is a member here but he is a busy guy maybe PM him and ask him to comment !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:23:11 pm »
James Parker has built a few boo horse bows. He uses tempered boo for the belly and boo backing(not tempered) with a multi stripped maple core. I've shot one of James' boo horse bows and they shoot very well.
You might post this on the "horn bow" section and/or contact James.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:24:17 pm »
I am sure he makes that ,, with that design ,, because it works for him,,
I have seen bows with the inside of the bamboo for the back,, as well,, both designs would seem to work well,,
most guys on this forum make there own bows,, and bamboo bows dont seem to made very much,,, or I dont remember reading about them much,,
good luck with your research,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:41:28 pm »
It's the type of bamboo he uses that allows this. The power fibers run deeper plus the natural hollow limb design allows a lighter limb.

The  bows from Bhutan are the other way around and most bamboo won't let you get away with this

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 03:43:01 pm »
I think I'am right on this.
lebhuntfish (Patrick) has one he brought to MoJam
It's a slat of bamboo with the  Siyah's lashed on with leather, you un lash it to break it down.
It creeks when you draw it.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
I got one and nobody that has ever shot it didn't walk away amazed.  Kinda weak on the aesthetics, but that isn't what it is about.  I suspect he is doing some sneaky heat treatment to the limb slats, but I have yet to get any details out of him.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline legend

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 04:00:07 pm »
thanks for your replies guys , interesting answers as it was a bow I am considering buying . One other question I was going to ask is , what would happen if you were to modify the Siyahs on this horse bow to reduce the bulk slightly ? I am sure Dave knows what he is doing but I am just curious ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:06:58 pm by legend »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 05:34:38 pm »
leave the ones like they are,, and make ones to your specs and see how they work. )P(

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 05:57:28 pm »
thanks for your replies guys , interesting answers as it was a bow I am considering buying . One other question I was going to ask is , what would happen if you were to modify the Siyahs on this horse bow to reduce the bulk slightly ? I am sure Dave knows what he is doing but I am just curious ?

Pretty sure I've seen them with drilled out sections to lighten them. Like anything though you get to the point of diminished returns.

Particularly with sharp siyahs, increased bulk doesn't translate to the handshock you may think it would create. Same with speed gains per tip mass reduction.

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 08:56:49 pm »
Yeah, i have one too. pretty nice. HLD. Need to try it with light arrows. I want to try 5" brace with a d97 string

I also made a bamboo bow with what i think was tonkin and with most power fibers on the outside, with the inside as the back it was making cracking noises.. with the outside as the back it'll be more durable but may take more set depending on the bamboo, or even have less draw weight?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:59:46 pm by loon »

Offline legend

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:10 pm »
In your opinion Guys , if one of these bows were backed with Sinew , would speed be affected or would it definitely enhance performance ?

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »
Your question is too simple. Whether sinew enhances performance depends on more than just putting it on.

Certainly If I was making one of these bows with that particular bamboo and backing it with sinew I would flip the bamboo around.

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
leave the ones like they are,, and make ones to your specs and see how they work. )P(

I think brad has the right idea with his advice. You might get a variety of comments from third parties here in this thread about how to modify his product, but I am not sure how Dave would think of you as a customer, by soliciting others to second guess his designs.

I see that he provides kits for different levels of completions, and for all we know, he might even have some positive suggestions for a kit that would utilize some of your ideas. I would encourage you to contact him directly.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:25:12 pm by willie »