Author Topic: confused about Bamboo horse bow  (Read 7636 times)

Offline bubby

Re: confused about Bamboo horse bow
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »
Dave mead offers a sinew backed version of his bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline legend

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 02:22:44 pm »
Hi Willie ,
I have probably wrongly worded my question . No I am not questioning Daves design or anyone to second guess them , I am genuinely curious  about his bow , and  as I was thinking of buying one I obviously want to know what I would be paying for .  I respect the fact if he has some secret design to his bow , that is his right to keep that to himself . Saying this , I would like to hear any feedback from the people who have bought one .
Thanks .

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 02:59:24 pm »
legend,
I see that he sells direct. Are you considering a kit? Might make for a nice build-a-long type thread.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »
There is a vid of Dave experimenting with sinew on his bow on utube if I remember right , don't remember the stats but worth a google search if your interested ! My guess is with the added mass unless you can get it to hold substantially more reflex it probably going to have a negative affect on speed  but that's just my 2 cents !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline legend

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 03:23:35 pm »
Thanks for comments Guys .
Yeh Willie I would buy the kit form , when I get round to it but at present I am taking my time trying to make a success of a self  / recurve bow from an English Elm stave .There is a good guy on the forum from the UK who lives near me and  who has built literally hundreds of bows and gives me some great advice on my newbe attempts . I am also following one of Gordons buildalongs which I find really good to follow .
Cheers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:14:47 pm »
David is a pretty bright guy and has diddled with this design hundreds of ways. Frankly, I think the siyahs are right up to the very edge of  the limits as they are. David has told me he has to pick through a lot of maple to get proper grain orientation in order to thin them the way they are and with the holes drilled in them, too.   

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:38 pm »
David is a pretty bright guy and has diddled with this design hundreds of ways. Frankly, I think the siyahs are right up to the very edge of  the limits as they are. David has told me he has to pick through a lot of maple to get proper grain orientation in order to thin them the way they are and with the holes drilled in them, too.   

Yeah i messaged him quite a bit when you got your kit jw, he is sharp as a tack and has this dialed in imo
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:24 am »

Yeah i messaged him quite a bit when you got your kit jw, he is sharp as a tack and has this dialed in imo

He is as polished as a dentist with a jackhammer, but the bows he sells speak volumes.  And he quickly grows on you if you ever get to talking with him.  I really wanna see him get his butt out to Wendover for the International Flight Shoot. He would really soak up the information and start reaching for new world records.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline legend

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 04:21:00 am »
Good to hear Guys

Offline bassman211

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 09:20:32 am »
Old thread, but because of the short time it takes to build one of his  horse bow designs, and  the end results of it's performance it is worth renewing.I have built  a dozen or, so of them  all modified. His design always seems to shoot harder than mine. He uses top line tempered bamboo, and longer ,sharper siyahs. I have made a few of these bows  with bamboo floor boards that do OK over all. Simple, and efficient  design to make for beginning bow builders while their wood is seasoning etc.

bownarra

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 02:27:29 am »
From someone who used to make bows for a living....he makes them like that because it is quick and easy. you could really krank the numbers out with that design. Doing it 'properly' takes a whole heap of time and the difficualty is on another level.....time = money....

Offline bassman211

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 06:20:18 am »
But if it works it works, and lots of positive deed back on his bows by guys who have owned them.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 03:57:13 pm »
I have one. Super good shooter. The performance at Dave’s price point is unmatched in my opinion and he’s a really great guy to boot. 

Offline bassman211

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 08:37:14 pm »
And made in the USA.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 01:41:36 pm »
bownarra, no reflection on you. I think you live in England. Just nice to buy from small business owners over here.