Author Topic: patchy yew. 51@28  (Read 4837 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
patchy yew. 51@28
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:44 am »
This is a bow I made a while ago which actually failed because of a few mistakes I made. Decided to try a fix I would have never thought of without seeing it here. (Thanks Del!)

The story:
A friend of mine gave me some yew staves from a 200+ year old hedgerow. This was a small diameter branch with some knots and a fair bit of deflex (The reflex side was unusable due to lots of knots and wind damage from it’s neighbouring branch)

It started out as a 55 lbs bow but after 100 or so shots a knot on the belly collapsed. The knot goes through the whole side of the limb, I thought is was pretty solid but should have drilled it out instead;-)

After reading Del’s patch stories I decided to give a belly patch a try. (I call it a "Del patch" everytime someone at the range asks me what that thing is on my bow) So I did as Del does and rasped out the collapsed area and made a matching yew patch for it. Quite a challenge to rasp a nice rounded area and make an exact fitting patch! Glued it down with smooth on and sanded it level with the belly. Had to touch up the tiller a bit and left the patched area a little stiff for insurance.

Now to shoot it again after patching was a little scary;-) Shot it a few sessions and to my surprise I had another piece on the belly collapse! This time on the belly of the flipped tip. There was probably a split there wich I had not noticed. The funny thing is it collapsed downwards. (sometimes the belly cracks a bit when bending with heat but that is always a clean break outwards)
So I decided to try another patch on the belly. This was easier to fix because I could just sand the bottom of the curve flat and glue some wood on it. This time I glued on a piece of oak and had it shooting again after two days!

Now this was three months ago and I have been shooting this bow three times a week for two hours per session since! I am usually not into fixing a bow with mistakes but somehow this bow wanted to be a shooter.

Stats:
Wood:    yew
Length: 66 ntn
Draw weight: 51@28
Handle: leather
Tip overlays: ipe

// side_profile_unbraced

// top profile

// braced_side

// belly

// Patches

// handle detail

// tip knot

// fd
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:41:01 am by leonwood »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: pathy yew. 51@28
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:12 am »
Always like seeing bow problem solving 101 being done with success.Nice bow!!Hope she holds up for ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:01:10 am »
Nice save and beautiful bow, love it when a plan comes together. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:48:53 am »
What a nice looking bow and great job on that patch! I have a short bow where I also have a belly collapse and I have been waiting for the right time to fix it. You just inspired me to do so! Don't forget to also post some pics of your HLD bows. I thought you were doing a great job on the one you had a single pic of.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:24:58 am »
Nice one ... fame at last  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:46:52 am »
Thanks guys! One of the reasons I tried to save this one was that I got the staves for free from a good friend and I wanted to do them justice. And then I was inspired by the famous Del the Cat of course :laugh:

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:57:08 am »
What a nice looking bow and great job on that patch! I have a short bow where I also have a belly collapse and I have been waiting for the right time to fix it. You just inspired me to do so! Don't forget to also post some pics of your HLD bows. I thought you were doing a great job on the one you had a single pic of.

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks Phil! On the hazel hld: I have a fee photos of that bow here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/149541802@N05/oAjs16
Not a full set of pictures though because I only wanted some pics for my instagram feed :laugh:

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:19:00 pm »
Thanks for the link on your HLD bow, it is beautiful! I especially like the transition into the handle and the handle itself.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:37 pm »
Impressive save and a beautiful bow to boot! Bravo
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:56:21 pm »
Great fix! I'm in debt to Del as well. Used a side knot "removal and plug" technique I learned from his website on a yew static I made. (see pic below) We should start a Del fan club or something.  ;)

The bow looks great!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 07:15:43 pm »
Nice save. Looks like it is a really good bow.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:25 am »
Super nice bow you made there Leon. Elegant and lovely profiles, great work with the patches.
Congrats!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Jonas

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 03:10:46 am »
Very nice!  :OK

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:22 am »
Great fix! I'm in debt to Del as well. Used a side knot "removal and plug" technique I learned from his website on a yew static I made. (see pic below) We should start a Del fan club or something.  ;)

The bow looks great!

Nice save as well! It's funny that you when you start learning to make bows you read a lot about watching out for splinters and chrysals and when that happens you better start on a new bow. (And don't get me wrong, I still think this is true!) But sometimes it is nice that you can actually save a bow by using this simple technique!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: patchy yew. 51@28
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 07:46:55 am »
And thanks everyone who replied, really appreciate it!