Author Topic: Tree bark as a tube?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline archeryrob

Tree bark as a tube?
« on: September 20, 2017, 12:44:12 pm »
Anyone have a method for removing the wood from a tree and leaving the bark as one solid tube?

I would like to make a tube quiver for my backpack for hunting arrows without the seem from peeling it off the wood.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline sleek

Re: Tree bark as a tube?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:07:03 pm »
I would try a lathe,  and bore out the center. I woukd also leave some wood inside to make it strong.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:14:12 pm »
It's a challenge.I've done it with 4" thick hickory log 2' long but it turned out a little too heavy weight wise to suit me.Need long thin tool to pry it off slowly only during the sap flow too.Even put a 1/2" thick piece of the original log in the bottom for a plug later.The bark will shrink and curl quite a bit so putting it around a cylinder of some sort and wrapping is a must to dry.Used smooth on glue to join the edges which worked fine.I use it now to just store arrows.

Personally I think birch bark left thicker with it's light weight would work great.Using a nice criss cross stitch work to join the edges.I'd do it if I had birch growing here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:04:43 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:30:04 pm »
That's pretty sweet Ed, love the original plug for the bottom

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 02:48:14 am »
Get a cherry tree that's been standing dead for ages, the wood will fall out in a pile of dust leaving a bark tube.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:42:24 am »
In theory that might assume to work but in reality it does'nt.Got a pic of that?
BowEd
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 02:39:22 pm »
I made a few quivers out of elm bark. Harvest in spring (easy), let dry on a cardbord tube or a pvc tube, fixed with rubber bands or yarn.

@ beadman: Ed, what wood did you use for the bottom. That is crazy beautiful!°!°!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »
In theory that might assume to work but in reality it doesn't. Got a pic of that?

No pics I'm afraid but it's worked for me a couple of times. The wood needed a bit of encouragement with a screwdriver, and it needs to be really rotten so that basically the bark is providing the only structure to the tree.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:38:21 am »
Luscade...That's pretty good.Our black cherry heartwood here has natural non rotting qualities to it.It would'nt work around here.Sounds like more work then the way I did it yet.When the sap is flowing the bark pops off fairly easy.Just need the right tools is all.
Simson....I used the same wood from the original log.It was pignut hickory.
Still in the end I'd love to do it with birch bark.That would be the lightest and the toughest.I've got a full thickness piece wide enough but it's only 18" long.I've made other stuff out of birch bark too besides bow back coverings like containers etc.Great stuff!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 08:04:48 pm »
Can be done with Elm when the sap is flowing good
Tap on it with a wood mallet to loosen then slip it out
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 12:04:44 am »
Birchbark is probably the best, but getting it at the right time is the challenge.  The harvest is apparently limited by the states.  However, I seem to remember that our guy, Swampman, moved up into that part of the country - maybe we can jar him into being a supply source!  May also try contacting the various bands of the Ojibway nation to find a supplier.  They are spread out over most of the birch range.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry