Author Topic: Eiffel Tower tips  (Read 1695 times)

Offline DC

Eiffel Tower tips
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:37 pm »
What's the difference between Eiffel Tower tips and a Molle?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Eiffel Tower tips
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »
eiffel tower tips ,, are just narrow tips,, but I think it might be up to interpretation,, its a very old term,,so may not be valid anymore,, back in the day there was long discussion on the leatherwall with Dean,, Jim and Tim,, about the advantages or disadvantages,, some were dead against it,, said they were not durable and would not hold up,,etc etc etc,,not good for hunting etc,,
   I had a bow I was working on a the time,, one of my dogs was chasing chicken and I threw the bow at him,,  the eiffel tower tip stuck in the dirt with no will effect,, I thoght they were pretty tough,,,

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »
I guess not that much, a molly usually has a shorter, harder transition from wide to narrow compared to an eifeltower wich narrows overa longer area. Molly tip usually don't bend but eifeltower tip can

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:37:02 pm »
I think it's just a general term meaning narrowed lever type tips front profile ,maybe Brad calls them spear tips  (A)
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »
I knew maybe I shoudnt have told that on myself,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 03:15:59 pm »
 Molle tips are generally a long straight taper while Eiffel tower tips are like a hollow ground knife blade cross section. The idea being to reduce more weight.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 03:22:22 pm »
I think the difference is purely aesthetic.  You can build a lever with well defined shoulders, or you can eliminate the shoulders and simply let the levers sweep inward as they narrow.  I have done it both ways.  Each way works fine, but the sweep looks better, I think.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:18 am »
I do mine like this, 3/4"@the fade to 3/8" or less at the tips and i shape the belly triangular to reduce mass, try to get them right at the point that they may bend just a hair
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 11:08:40 am »
In a nut shell DC.Looks wise one style will have a more stream lined top view look and one won't.Efficiency wise for speed you'd be splitting hairs I'd say.For ease of draw towards the end of draw each is sweet and the main thing for me.So to me it's just a looks thing mostly that's different if it's executed properly with both styles.A personal choice again.
They won't be as much work when getting the hang of it to make as your recurve ocean spray you showed but still will be pleasant and perform nicely.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:22:11 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:40 pm »
I was wondering if the Eiffel Tower tips bent where the Molle ones didn't. I've broken a couple of Molles and thought that maybe a little bend wouldn't be a bad thing. Extend the working limb a bit.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 01:56:06 pm »
I know from my last bow if you allow them to bend that you lose FPS ,fortunately I was able to heat treat them back rigid and gain the speed back I think letting them bend changes the string angle slightly I think if you need them to bend not to break the design might be a bit under built where did they break ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !