Author Topic: To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (another item added 03/30)  (Read 16073 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (another item added 03/30)
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:08:21 pm »
Most of you know who you are (some may even be tired of waiting), some will be surprised . Not all are on this forum. Most everyone knows I make Turkey Wing Bone calls, and most know I do not sell them. Most do know that I do donate them to auctions, drives, raffles, etc., trade them for "things" I want/need, and surprise deserving friends with one, from time to time  ;) . Since mid-winter there has been a lot of that sort of thing (auctions and trades, etc.) going on -  :o  and this ol' hoss got way further behind than I like to get in anything in my life. I also have been taking up new crafts/hobbies (arrows,bows,knives) and I have had to do those things as I have the materials and information (freely given) at hand - before I forget how -   ::)

All this to say - Take Heart, recipients! I now am caught up on all the building I have planned, at this time, (God, please don't let me have forgotten anyone) on TWB Calls and am actually ready to do the "Personalizing and Decorating". I hope to have that all done, and start mailing them out, with in the next week or two.

Here on Primitive Archer, this post also gives me a chance to show another (primitive?) thing I do - for the first time (for many of you, but not all).

Pics taken today 03/18/08:

Thanks for bearing with me, all of you wonderful friends and folks - I mean it. Bless you all, bless us all.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:59:55 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline david w.

Re: To Those Promised (TWB Calls)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:09:58 pm »
nice calls i like them.

how do they work?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

wvfknapper

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:15:46 pm »
What do you use where they fit together to seal the?

Nice work

wvflintknapper

Offline ber643

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »
Thanks, David and WV. I use super glue gell first - to assemble and test/tune but the stuff you see is an epoxy putty. i usually use one they call Plumber's Putty (in a light gray like a couple of those)), or the one I prefer is kinda for wood and is a light tan. However right lately all I can find is this one (locally) that is blue outside and after you knead it it remains a sort of blue or at least cool grey. The stuff comes in a plastic see- through sleeve and is usually found with adhesives in WallyWorld or hardwares, It has another soft plastic wrap inside the tube and has an outer putty and an inner core of it a different color. You pinch off what you need, and knead - LOL. It's very handy for many things.

During the decorating step I also will wrap in front of those joints with sinew, fly tieing thread, etc and cover it with super glue or Fly tier's dressing - to add color or primitive look and to further seal the joints (Probably not really needed). If there is interest, I will post a couple (previously) finished ones later in this post, perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:29:58 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

wvfknapper

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:05:06 pm »
Ya, let's see some finished pics

wvflintknapper

Offline ber643

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:27:08 pm »
Here is a Two Bone I did for a friend, Chuck Bunn, who had sent me his late, (Former Marine) Father's old MC Ka-Bar Knife. He still had his Dad's Dog tag so I decorated his call with one of my old ones too. Notice the similarity in our last names. Chuck and his Son took a nice bird with this call last Spring too, and sent me the wing bones - LOL:

And a Three Bone that I did for my bowyering teacher, Mike Brooks - who is a retired USN Corpsman

I'll slip a couple more in later, thanks for asking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:32:31 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:43:02 am »
Cool work Bernie. You keep coming up with more and more hobbies. You are gonna work yourself to death with your retirement! ;D  Actually I'm jealous! ;)  8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:19:52 am »
 ;D - don't be jealous, Pat, you've got your "Hobby Plate" pretty full (and well developed) too - but thanks, buddy.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:36:08 pm »
I like them Bernie ! I make wing bone yelpers too. They are great calls when you figure out how to use them  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 12:08:23 am »
Bernie, those are the coolest calls i have ever seen... Wolf watcher has one, but yours are the finest i have seen.. I have no skills but would like to trade you for one ... if you have any left.. PM me if you are interested in trading Thanks  ... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline ber643

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 12:53:46 am »
Sure, hawkbow, and thanks - but not right now. I only have bones to do the two bone ones (no "bell" bones) anyway - of course I sometimes think they sound better (higher) and are easier to tote around. My time is a little limited right now, and want to get back on some knives as soon as I finish these, but give me time and we should be able to work something out. I have a couple other guys I want to do calls for soon, though. What'd you have in mind to trade?
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 06:54:23 am »
Very nice work,you have been busy.Beautiful. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

keekeerun

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:22 am »
Bernie.   very nice calls, I also make my own wingbones, glueing them with epoxy, what is the name of the light blue or gray color stuff you knead to harden, that you get at wal-mrt, I would like to try that thanks

Offline ber643

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:52:16 am »
keekeerun (neat handle - LOL), I don't have the "name" as the labels always seem to come off the tube. It is put out by various makers, I believe, and is called different things. The first one I found was called "Plumbers Putty", but in an epoxy stick. They also have it for wood, steel, and various other materials I suppose - but all are usable for most anything, as near as I have found (I use it for a lot of things). The stuff (moldable putty) almost always comes in a plastic tube that resembles a flat bottomed test tube. Inside, the stuff will be wrapped in a soft flexible plastic and looks like a Tootsie Roll (not in color), with a diferent colored core. You pinch off what you need (never as much as you think - I wind up wasting a lot), knead it in your fingers 'til the two colors are blended - and you have a moldable putty. it hardens pretty soon after applying it and I sand, if needed, the next day. Great stuff. This bluish looking epoxy moldable putty you see in the pic has a super dark blue outside to it (it seems to be a little stickier in the hands to me). I prefer the lighter colors (more like wood) when I can find it - but that's just me. Hope this helps. Oh, a little acetone or fingernail polish remover will get any stubborn residue off your fingers/hands easily.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:21:02 pm »
 trade some of my glass points , antlers, arrows ..Wife ,, kids... lol ...I found some glass in the badlands and made some points and knives out of it .... I am not as good as cowboy or wolf watcher at knapping but the points will kill pretty easy..have whitetail antlers... and build primitive arrows ...Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston