Author Topic: Hope that never happens to me...  (Read 4408 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Hope that never happens to me...
« on: September 23, 2017, 12:12:39 am »
Just got home after spending the entire night w/ my brother-in-law in the emergency room. Man. I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone in that much pain, and this dude is tough as nails.

We got a call from him around 6 pm and could barely make out his words between the moans. He was with his 2 daughters at his lake house (about 40 minutes outside of Rochester) and his wife was out of town, no neighbors, so he needed us out there asap. On my way there I finally convinced him to call 911 while we were on the phone. An ambulance took him to the hospital and a police officer waited with the girls for Melissa and I to arrive. When we did, she stayed with the kids and I went to the hospital.

When I got there the guy was a mess. Now this is a guy who's worked 12 hours a day outside all year round his entire life. He's been mangled by machines, electrocuted, you name it. But here he was barely able to speak and wailing in agony. They gave him a hefty dose of morphine, but it did absolutely nothing.

Finally, after hours of writhing and vomiting in a hospital bed, the pain started to subside. A doctor came in and explained what had caused this man's torture. It was a 6 mm kidney stone passing through 3 separate blockages. I had no idea it could be that painful.

All I can think now, selfish as it may be, is... s&%^, hope that never happens to me.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Hope that never happens to me...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:48:16 am »
Nothing selfish about that Jeff, I hope it doesn't happen to you either. On the bright side I'm sure your brother in law will feel much better after the stones have passed.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:23:04 am »
YUP, Been there, TWICE. Sorry for holloring but that is about how bad it hurts. I feel bad for your brother in law.  They had to surgically remove one of mine.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »
Count me in. I've only had one, but it was one of the worst pains I've ever had. I've had some pretty good injuries in my life, but I thought this was going to do me in. Curtis

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »
Well, he passed the stone all the way out earlier today. He said he felt instant relief.  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:43:35 pm »
Screw Romancing the Stone film I guess you could make
a horror movie Passing the Stone. Glad it worked out. (tiny lol)
So sorry for all the all suffering have you guys have been through.
I am with upstate and the thread title.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:53:33 pm »
Those things are real bad in the pain department - about 15 on the 10 scale!!  Glad he's better!  You are right, if you get the chance to not have one, take it!  I surely don't want another one!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
That's a bad day for sure, they ran a wire with a camera up my pee pipe and put a stent in so I could pass mine. I peed blood for three days. Two weeks later they had to go up again to get the stent out. I had a heart attack and the pain was about the same.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
 been there done that - not that bad though...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:35:08 pm »
I found/heard a guy screaming and moaning in the swamp during archery season one year. Man, I though he had fell on his arrow but he was passing a kidney stone. I stayed with him for a couple of hours while he passed it the helped him get to his truck. I don't think I've ever seen anybody in that much pain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »
I remember the doc saying they vary in size. Anything over 8mm must be surgically removed. My bro-in-law's was around 6mm.

Good of you to stay with that guy Mullet. He must have known it was a stone? We had no idea what it was at first. I thought for sure it was his appendix. He said the pain came out of nowhere and it was on his right side. We sat there for like 3 hours before they did a ct scan and determined it was a stone.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:26:26 pm by upstatenybowyer »

Nigerian Proverb

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 05:59:32 pm »
Upstate, he said he had passed a lot of them and usually carried an eppi pen with him. That day he had left it in the truck.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:07:30 pm »
Upstate, he said he had passed a lot of them and usually carried an eppi pen with him. That day he had left it in the truck.

Figured he must have known what it was. If I was him I'd have a huge vial of morphine on hand.  O:)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:56 am »
Just got home after spending the entire night w/ my brother-in-law in the emergency room. Man. I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone in that much pain, and this dude is tough as nails.

We got a call from him around 6 pm and could barely make out his words between the moans. He was with his 2 daughters at his lake house (about 40 minutes outside of Rochester) and his wife was out of town, no neighbors, so he needed us out there asap. On my way there I finally convinced him to call 911 while we were on the phone. An ambulance took him to the hospital and a police officer waited with the girls for Melissa and I to arrive. When we did, she stayed with the kids and I went to the hospital.

When I got there the guy was a mess. Now this is a guy who's worked 12 hours a day outside all year round his entire life. He's been mangled by machines, electrocuted, you name it. But here he was barely able to speak and wailing in agony. They gave him a hefty dose of morphine, but it did absolutely nothing.

Finally, after hours of writhing and vomiting in a hospital bed, the pain started to subside. A doctor came in and explained what had caused this man's torture. It was a 6 mm kidney stone passing through 3 separate blockages. I had no idea it could be that painful.

All I can think now, selfish as it may be, is... s&%^, hope that never happens to me.

7mm stone here, and yep, I can honestly say I have never experienced such pain. My left eye was blood red from vessels blowing out. Took about a month and a half to recover. really special urinating while having a stint (small plastic hose) between my kidney, and bladder...then off to surgery 2 weeks later could not pass the stone from my bladder.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 04:01:26 pm »
I didn;t go into the whole story the first time. My wife was the nurse manage of post op and recovery at the time so she assisted on the surgery and told me what happened.  They didn't put me under hard enough and I moved around just as they grabbed the stone and the grabber lost it as they were pilling it out. So they had to pull the removed out, grease it up and put it back in to grab the stone a second time.  That cause some abrasion in that there area so they put a stint in.  The stint made me incontinent so I had to wear a depends.  Now the story gets better. I was the lead investigator on a murder case  that was going to start a few days after my surgery. I told my Dr I could sit in the court room wearing a depends and pissing on myself during a trial, that just ain't right, so he pulled the stint out early. BIGGGGGG mistake. That there area swelled up good causing urine to back up and I woke up screaming in pain.  Got rushed to the hospital and put on morphine.  About 300am I called for the nurse and about filled two of them jugs.  That pain was far worse than the kidney stone pain and that was bad.

As Paul Harvey says: now you know the rest of the story.