Author Topic: Floor tillering  (Read 1682 times)

Offline DC

Floor tillering
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:11:56 pm »
When you are floor tillering do you make one limb bend nicely and then make the other one match or do you whittle away at both at the same time? Well, alternately. ;D ;D ;D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Floor tillering
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:05 pm »
A little here and a little there until both limbs behave themselves, for me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:50 pm »
Alternately. I use floor tillering instead of a long string.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:41:01 pm »
For floor tillering I look to see that each limb is bending evenly. As tillering progresses my goal is to have both limbs bending evenly and together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 01:47:51 pm »
I've set a mirror up so I can see what I'm doing and if I tilt it right I can see both limbs. When you are using the standard floor tillering stance do both limbs bend the same? It would seem to me that the bottom limb would bend more. Especially if you're tall. You're kind of pushing down and bending at the same time.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 01:59:52 pm »
For me it is too hard to see both limbs at floor tiller. It is an initial part of the process to be sure there are no hinges and to get you in the ball park before going on the tiller tree. Once there you stand back to get an overall view of the bow so you can make both limbs bend evenly and together. I tiller both basically evenly until near the end of the tillering process then make sure the lower limb is slightly stiffer at the end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »
I'm too old and stiff to twist so I have always done my "floor tillering" on the long string. It's just since I discovered mirrors that I can actually do this. Now I have to learn :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
For floor tillering I look to see that each limb is bending evenly. As tillering progresses my goal is to have both limbs bending evenly and together.

+1
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »
I floor tiller all the way to full brace. both limbs are worked at the same time. I use calipers a lot to compare thickness between limbs at certain points. This isn't surefire, but it sure has sped up the beginning tiller process. Final tiller I'm still overly causous about tho.
Eric

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »
I alternate. Then go to the long string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 08:00:02 pm »
Your arm developes a memory pressure wise while floor tillering for the same amount and kind of bend to match your limbs good.The more you practice the better it gets.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »
any way to get my head to develope (=) a memory,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 08:43:10 pm »
  Mostly all my life I have floor tillered right to full brace. Especially when I am working a design I am very familiar with. Recently I started coming off the floor tillering a lot sooner and have gone to the long string. For me it works out better, I used to end up sometimes with one part of my limb bending just a tad more than I wanted and I would end up designing the entire tiller shape after that one limb.