Author Topic: Got one shooting. ( pics added)  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Got one shooting. ( pics added)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 05:32:31 pm »
Wow. Thanks guys! Slim bob, I heated the belly a couple times. Once between floor tillering and after the first dozen shots the tiller changed so I heated it again and finished the tillering out best I could. Hope I got it good enough to hold.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 05:45:00 pm »
Well, that, and a pretty dang good tiller explains that profile!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 05:59:47 pm »
very nice congrats on that one, for sure,, (SH)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 07:20:52 pm »
Great tiller.  :BB I'll bet it's a blast to shoot.  (SH) Congrats!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Morgan

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 05:15:24 am »
Wow, thanks for the compliments guys. I am really not sure if I laid that bow out right or not, but the way I have it now, the top limb is longer than the bottom one. First time I had it shooting tiller looked good on the tree after lots of exercising so I started shootings it. After I shot it a while my boy wanted to shoot and when he came to full draw the lions share of movement was from the bottom limb. That's when it got toasted again and back to the tree. Do y'all lay your stuff handles bows out with top limb longer or the other way around?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:53 am »
Good job Morgan! That will make you a nice little bow for sure.  Ive not had the chance to work my hackberry yet but I tend to work white wood in the winter months. 

When you say toast the belly, it should be just that,  make that dude look like a nice piece of dark brown toast.  But in the same manner take your time doing it.  If you hold your heat gun closer than about 6 inches from the belly you are just darkening the surface.  If you hold it back and it takes some time to get dark then you are doing it right.  It should take about a half hour to 45 min per limb to do a heat treat.  Try that on your next one,  you will see a big difference. 
Another small pointer on your leather handle.  Looks like you used either bow string or possibly artificial sinew to sew it together.  Instead of punching holes with a leather punch try using a drill with a very small drill bit or a small nail.  That will give you a tighter fit and a strong seam.  But thats just aesthetics. But hey,  thats why we are here,  to share our work and learn from each other!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:42 am »
That is a really nice bow with great looking tiller!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:29 am »
Good job Morgan! That will make you a nice little bow for sure.  Ive not had the chance to work my hackberry yet but I tend to work white wood in the winter months. 

When you say toast the belly, it should be just that,  make that dude look like a nice piece of dark brown toast.  But in the same manner take your time doing it.  If you hold your heat gun closer than about 6 inches from the belly you are just darkening the surface.  If you hold it back and it takes some time to get dark then you are doing it right.  It should take about a half hour to 45 min per limb to do a heat treat.  Try that on your next one,  you will see a big difference. 
Another small pointer on your leather handle.  Looks like you used either bow string or possibly artificial sinew to sew it together.  Instead of punching holes with a leather punch try using a drill with a very small drill bit or a small nail.  That will give you a tighter fit and a strong seam.  But thats just aesthetics. But hey,  thats why we are here,  to share our work and learn from each other!

Patrick
Thank you for the tips Patrick. That was the first time I completely finished a bow out. Had no idea what I was doing on the leather, just cut the cuff off of an old welding glove. The string lace is b50.
When heating the belly, I didn't spend as much time as you suggested, probably spent 45 min on both limbs together. The limbs darkened a lot but most of the dark scraped off at last tiller tweaks and sanding. Only the porous rings retained any color. I will take more time on my next one, hated the idea of going too far and ruining the bow that far into it. Thanks again, everyone here has been very helpful to me.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 02:11:26 pm »
No problem Morgan,  you did do a good job on the bow for sure.  Especially since its the first on you have finished. 

Look up heat treating,  Marc Stlouis (I believe) has a great instructional thread on the subject.  Also check out YouTube for a video about using painters tape to make a handle wrap.  The tape is the pattern for cutting the leather. 
Sounds like you have the bug,  look forward to seeing your next bow!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline feral

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 03:24:34 am »
I don't know what Hackberry is, but it looks like a nice bow. My first (working) bow was a 60" 70lb osage. I have a great love for it, but I don't shoot it much, even after trimming it down to 63lb. My fave at the moment is a laminated one straight of the TBB 4. But the first sits on the rack in a place of pride.  (SH)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 03:42:35 am »
 Congrats That looks like a great shooter to me, tiller looks good, wished my first several had looked close to that good. Welcome to the addiction . Nothing like your first real shooter. Well maybe a few things close but not many. ;) ;D ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good