Author Topic: A tribute to Robert Hardy CBE FSA. Scholar and actor.  (Read 6005 times)

Ruddy Darter

A tribute to Robert Hardy CBE FSA. Scholar and actor.
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:59:42 pm »
Robert Hardy passed away today and I thought it only fitting to offer respects to him on this English Warbow section of Primitive Archer. A passionate scholar and authority on the English longbow and military history, aswell as a major campaigner in the raising of the Mary Rose. A fine old school Shakespearean actor to boot.
Personally speaking,  it was the work of Robert Hardy working along side Simon Stanley who first sparked my interest in the English heavy martial longbow. In my eyes he was fundamental in paving the way for the knowledge and understanding we are lucky to have today. Certainly someone I would of very much liked to of met.
My Deepest respect, and my condolences to all who had the privilege to know and work with him. 🇬🇧

R.D.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:31:13 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: A tribute to Robert Hardy CBE FSA. Scholar and actor.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:41:07 pm »
Very nicely put Ruddy, I am also saddened to hear of Robert Hardy's passing. I really appreciated his books on the Longbow and how much he did to reinvigorate traditional archery culture in Britain. I also remember him from the telly as a kid and to my daughter he will always be Cornelius Fudge! My sympathy and condolences to all who knew him.
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline gifford

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »
Thank you for posting, he had a long life with many accolades. Not many of his talent left.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:11:01 pm »
 I was fortunate to have have met him and have him cast an eye over a couple of my bows at a roving shoot a few years back. He wasn't in the best of health but still shot a couple of marks... as he stepped up to hand out prizes at the end of the shoot the years fell away and his voice boomed out.
" I'm sorry I only showed up for the afternoon. I didn't shoot many marks, but I did score with a couple of arrows... which I thought was bloody good!"
 ;D
He was very unassuming, I'd taken my copy of "Longbow" along but wasn't sure if I should bother him asking for it to be signed, so I asked one of the organisers and they said, just keep your eyes open and if he is signing anything and it seems appropriate go for it and ask him.
He did sign it while looking over my bows, three of which were being shot that day. He commented on the very fine wood in one of them which was very dark fine grained English Yew.
A true gentleman and damn fine actor. His portrayal of Winston Churchill was very powerful.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:31:58 pm »
He was a talented man the likes of which are few and far between. I'd not known how much he'd done with archery and especially the Mary Rose. Thanks for posting such a fitting tribute.
I remember him from the BBC "All things great and small" series that ran here in the states on the PBS stations many years back.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:57:26 am by PaulN/KS »

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 02:05:47 am »
Yes my main memories of him are from All Creatures Great and Small. That was a fantastic series, absolutely true to life on the Yorkshire Moors. I read all the books by James Herriot when I was a nipper, time and again. When I saw the TV series for the first time all the actors were perfect and Robert Hardy absolutely made that series.
I would have loved to have met him.

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that. I greatly enjoyed his Longbow book.  It's been awhile, I should get it back out.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 08:34:24 pm »
Nice tribute Ruddy , he will surely be missed!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 11:38:37 am »
My wife surprised me with a mint copy of the Longbow book as an anniversary present Friday.  :D
I'd borrowed one from the library and read it but it will be nice having my own now on the shelf.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 01:06:04 pm »
Not sure how I missed this thread, or the news of this great man's passing.  I did not know he was a toxophile, but somehow I am not at all surprised to learn of this. 

Should any of you run into family or friends of his, pass along my Yank's heartfelt condolences.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.