Author Topic: helping a friend  (Read 5070 times)

Offline sailordad

helping a friend
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:04:25 pm »
well like the tittle of this post states,i am helping friend.
this guy i work with,heard of my new hobbie.
we got to talking and he told me his brother hassome form of cancer and that hey are having a benifit dinner/auction for him. this dinner/auction is coming up in about 4 weeks.he asked me awhile back if he was to order a floor tillered stave if i would finish it for him,being the kind sort that i am,and figuring that any practice is good practice,i said "sure,why not".
so i've been working on this boo backed hickory hunter,floor tillered stave he ordered from RUDDERBOWS ARCHERY(should make a nice looking bow).
he wants it to be a target bow in the range of 43 lbs at 28 inches. right now i've got it at about 35 lbs at about 20-21 inches and am seeking a little tiller advice
hopefully i havent screwed this up yet, and hopefully my picturs will post.
so any advice would be greatly appreciated,especially with the deadline coming quickly.

in the first 2 pics the lower limb is to the left and it is at 20 inches on the stick(only long enought to take picture)

PEACE,
                                                                                                     Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline david w.

Re: helping a friend
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:06:28 pm »
looks good to me :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:21 pm »
Looks nice and even, but get the inner limbs bending for the last inches of draw.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
Just my 2 cents.....

actually the right limb is the stiffer of the 2 right now you might want to use that as the lower if there is not a shelf cut into it. If there is already a shelf I would concentrate on tillering out the right limb just a bit.

Your tiller looks pretty good. as 1/2 primitive said just off the fades looks stiff to me as well as the right limb outer.

keep scrapin' Its looking good.

n2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:58:49 am »
very nice bro... and built from the heart... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:57 am »
I agree with everything said above...even that Hawk guy ;D ;) What looks like the upper limb(right), the area close to the fade is stiff. You could remove some wood from that area and reevaluate. Also it looks like you are not pulling from the correct place on the string. Mark your string as if installing a nock point(approx 3/8" above parallel) and pull from there. Otherwise it looks good to me. You ought to hit your goal with room to spare.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:51:01 am »

what pat says: right/upper limb might appear different if pulled from the nockpoint!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:08:15 am »
Looking good so far,keep us posted. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:01:29 pm »
well I've been doing a little more work on this bow and was wondering how it looks now.
in the first pic the upper limb is to the right.

right now it is pulling 40 lbs at 24 inches, trying for about 43 lbs at 28-29 inches

any input would be greatly appreciated.
thank you all.

PEACE,
                                                                                  Tim

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:06:04 am »
Tim, looks good. I would gain the additional draw length you need by scraping  close to the handle. I think you need to get the near handle wood bending a bit more. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 01:38:55 am »
Tim....I couldn't nail it perfectly in Photoshop...because the Bow is tilted down slightly....but you can still see that the Tiller is nearly Perfect....so I would do what George said....or leave it be....It looks Great

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:31:58 am »
o.k.,
so i've got 43 lbs at 28 inches now,i think the tiller looks decent,the bow shoots decent(put 20 arrows thru it so far).so were calling it done as far as tillering goes.
i have it all sanded down,wiped down with acetone and the wax scraped off of the boo. i think i'll leave the boo its pretty yellow color.not exactly sure how i should finish off the hickory for the best aesthetic appeal.i have only finished one bow,that was a boo/ipe elb, i used tongue oil on the ipe and was wondering if that will work as nicely on the hickory,i plan on using carnuba wax on the boo.
any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.keep in mind please that  a finish with minimal maintenance would be preferred as this bow is going into a silent auction and dont want the winner to have to worry too much.
thank you all very much.

PEACE,
                                                                                                 Tim

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:36:28 am »
Then Stain the Hickory if you want it darker....and seal the whole Bow with Polyeurethane...I sometimes use Minwax wipe-on Poly.....you can get it either Neutral or with Stain....it comes in Satin or Gloss too...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 08:00:05 am »
Very nice job. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 12:58:11 pm »
Looks like a shooter to me. Well done :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI