Author Topic: Nock height/no rest  (Read 2238 times)

Offline DC

Nock height/no rest
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:24 pm »
I shoot off my knuckle. If the fletching hits my knuckle I raise the nock height until I can't feel the arrow go by. Is there any relationship between this adjustment and proper nock height?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Nock height/no rest
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
DC,
      I have shot off the hand for years and have always felt the fletching and sinewed wrap brush my hand...Your bow may be shooting well with a high knock...I am a stickler when it comes to arrow flight using stone points...I need that arrow coming off like a drill bit...I start slightly above 90 degrees, say quarter inch...I have found when I achieve the flight I want on all my bows I will have a slight brush of the fletch lying down as it passes my knuckle, always...Usually never above a half inch at 90 degrees...
      Are you getting good flight...I do place my hand on the handle in the exact spot every time...If your fletch isn't coming out high then go with it...Knock to low and you will feel a burn and see the arrow kick up, to high and you will see slight porposing...
                                                                    Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:04:34 pm »
I use a Floppy rest now. It protects my thinning skin and still feels like I'm shooting off my hand. I also wrap the forward end of the fletching smoothly to prevent chafing(or worse) of my hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14:04 pm »
I use string wrapped around the serving so it's adjustable. Sometimes it gets a bit loose and will move on its own. If it moves down I will start to feel the arrow tickle my knuckle. I screw it up about a turn which may be 1/32" and it stops tickling. It's very precise. The arrows seem to fly fine as long as the nock point is within 1/4" here or there. So the method I have been using is to turn the nock down until I can feel the arrow and then turn it back up a turn. I just wasn't sure if this was close and thought someone else may have noticed the same thing. I'm not much of a shot so I don't know if I would notice if it was wrong.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:41:55 pm »
I dont use a nocking point,,
if the bow is tillered pretty good,, just a bit above 90 degrees,, should work,,
I just kind of eye ball it,,
I can tell if the arrow is flying good,,
on a shorter bow,, if the bottom limb is weak,, the arrow will hit your hand,,
on longer bows ,, seems easier to tune,,

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:10:01 am »
   DC, shoot through some paper from 7 to 10 feet and see how it tears...Adjust your nock until you gain a minimum tear...I made a paper frame years ago out of PVC and used wrapping paper...At my age it is hard to track an arrow right off the shelf or hand...Sometimes it's way off and the fletching cleans it up without me seeing a problem...I have shot deer as close as 15 feet and I would hate to know my arrow was 3" nock high at impact...That would definitely impede penetration even at the distance...Maybe your ok
                                                                                                                                                  Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;