Author Topic: View from the stand 2017  (Read 24793 times)

Offline ksnow

Re: View from the stand 2017
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:47 am »
That sucks Osage.  Its amazing how small the vitals become when the angle increases like that.  I am determined to limit myself to high percentage shots. 

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2017, 08:31:49 am »
     Ed I think you meant to say bj not Brad. I practiced a lot from a tree stand in my back  yard this year. If i shoot the way my wheelie bow shooting brother showed me I'm right on at any distance. If I don't I'm way high. I also shot from every stand I put up. I might start another thread on this but I just plain guffed up on this one. It was all my bad.
     That's great news Kyle. I was really hoping you'd give it a go. It's fun even if you don't shoot and you really can learn a lot from watching and getting close to these animals. I know exactly what you mean about those chipmunks. They are quite the alarm system. I always figure if the chipmunks, crows and turkeys don't spot me I've got a pretty good chance the deer won't either.
      Osage I think I'm going to start another thread on shooting from elevated stands. I'd like to pick a few people brains. I know what you mean at that poor angle. I did that last year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2017, 12:07:02 pm »
If it was easy everybody would be doing it.It takes more talent/time/and patience to get them this way and sometimes it just plain won't work out,but when it does it's pretty darn satisfying.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2017, 01:59:52 pm »
shooting from a stand is not that far off topic I dont think anyone would mind a few thougths on that,,is is different ,, but you do have a great advantage of being able to draw without being seen,, not always,, but sometimes,,, :)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:22 pm »
I haven't shot from a elevated tree stand in a long time.  But when I did I would concentrate bending at the waist and not just moving your arms down. the angle between your head and arms/shoulders need to be consistent with standing on the ground.
JIMO.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2017, 04:34:27 pm »
I haven't shot from a elevated tree stand in a long time.  But when I did I would concentrate bending at the waist and not just moving your arms down. the angle between your head and arms/shoulders need to be consistent with standing on the ground.
JIMO.....
DBar
Bill that's the way my brother showed me to. If I bend at waist to square up with angle I'm shooting at I can look at same spot as if I'm on ground. That's what I didn't do this time. I was just curious if that's how everyone else does it or if they just look at a lower spot.
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2017, 05:14:31 pm »
I try to keep my alignment the same,,,you can draw your bow level and then bend to make the shot,,take practice arrows to shoot from your stands,,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2017, 05:56:36 pm »
Thanks Brad I guess that's how I usually do it. I am going to start taking a practice arrow.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2017, 06:00:53 pm »
I try to put my stands where I will have lower angled shots.  On the 2 I got this year they were probably less than 8' below my level. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 05:52:45 am »
Thanks Clint I do the same. All of my stands are 10' or less high. My anticipated shots are around the nine to ten yard range. That seems like a pretty doable angle. I have shot at all these stands this summer but now that season has started I haven't shot from a stand since. I always set my target out every night when I get in from hunting and shot several shots at deferent ranges and have been shooting really well from the ground.  I like the idea of taking  a few practice arrows in the stand. I know what I did wrong but I just have to make it second nature. I'm much more comfortable shooting and hunting from a tree this year but I obviously screwed up this shot. It wasn't lack of patience or buck fever.  Just a problem with my form and I knew better.
Thanks for the help and suggestions, it's cooling down here now. I'm getting busier, not sure I'll get much if any time to sit in a tree for awhile now. May be gun season by my next hunt.
Good Luck everyone
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2017, 09:33:39 am »
I shoot from 15' stands.Most times standing up.Angles are pretty important like said.Broadside quartered away the best.I tend to aim a little lower then especially if it's closer than 15 yards.Bent over some then too like said.Hitting consistently in a 6" circle at 15 yards needs to happen but sometimes it don't....lol.In a good scenario though the arrow goes right through and sticks out the bottom.Arrow almost needs to go in to the fletching then.That's a dead deer....lol.
Lot of action again this morning again.Just too far away for comfort.I'd take pics while deer are there but I'm just plain too busy waiting and getting the right position for me and the deer.I don't own a camera phone but can see how that makes it easier.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »
odd are getting they gonna make a mistake,,then take a  pic ok,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »
This was my view over looking a rye planting on state forest land. We did a 5 day bow camp last week.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2017, 04:16:37 pm »
Looks  like money Pearl Drums. Gotta love this state.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:23 pm »
Looks like a perfect spot Chris......
Wish my hunting area had more green fields. It tends to concentrate the critters. 
Big woods is always tough to hunt because you need to know .... just what oak is dropping acorns?
@ Pearl.... Kim says "A Corns"  sorry everyone inside joke with Chris..... :);)
DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking