Author Topic: View from the stand 2017  (Read 25174 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: View from the stand 2017
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »
thats a beautiful spot, is that your arrow sticking in the dirt,,, (SH) looks like blood on it,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »
Brad
Are you talking @ Pearl???  You should know he only kills deer with muzzle loaders....Definitely must be talking about someone else. :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2017, 06:50:38 am »
Now wait a second Kim, is it a-corns or akerns? Ya'll got my towards off!

No bloody arrow Brad. I had one button fawn get close enough last week, but I'm not a fawn killer. Wish I was at times.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2017, 07:18:24 am »
Nice looking alley way for those deer Chris.I mow trails in my small set of woods too.They like to follow that for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:02 pm »
Really nice terrain and shooting lanes, wish we had some like that!  Real nice sunrise/sunset pics, too - out here that much cover with those lanes would be about 100 yards or more!  Winds we got this year!  Trying to hunt cow elk in a new area (rifle), haven't seen sign at all, did see some does about 260 yards out, but the wind shifted and they left.  Didn't get pictures, but the brush was about knee high with some scrub oak and sagebrush, some bunch grass, and a narrow canyon.  Too old for tree stands and it's hard to find a tree to mount a stand on >:D!  Ground blinds next year, I hope!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 12:03:12 am »
Now wait a second Kim, is it a-corns or akerns? Ya'll got my towards off!

No bloody arrow Brad. I had one button fawn get close enough last week, but I'm not a fawn killer. Wish I was at times.

They ain't fawns if they ain't got no spots! I like to get me one on dem wonse ina wile.  There so gud and tender. 
Ya'll think I'm kidden, if its brown its daowwn!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 05:42:01 am »
These are the only deer I've been able to get close to lately. Still have about three good days of corn. We have to switch gears today and get ready for beets tomorrow. It's a very grueling two weeks minimum in the beets. Don't think I'll get back hunting with bow till gun season now.
Good luck everyone keep up the pictures and stories I love sneaking a peak when I can.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 08:01:18 am »
That's ok.Priorities.It's fun making money too....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2017, 08:24:35 am »
My gut told me not to go out during very windy weather[NW 30 to 40 mph] but I did anyway in a stand that is set up for the direction and shooting lanes.That does'nt stop deer from coming the wrong direction though and the wind from swirling also.A nice enough 3.5 year old 8 point buck came within 30 yards of me I probably would of shot at but meandered around unaware till it hit my scent down wind.Gone in a flash.It's what they call BUSTED!!!It's been mentioned before by many.Being selective on your days counts a bunch.
I tell these happenings because it is'nt always that easy and just showing the kill can involve a lot of time and effort.The weather has become nice and brisk now though which is the way I like it for good deer movement.Good luck to others trying.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »
Well I head to my property in IL in a week for a week. Hopefully this year I won't sink my phone in water and lose all my pics. I will have to see what is on the trail cams, we have two out, and post some of those pics. No electric or computer connection on the property. All primitive so all post will be post trip. I did put a small plot in at the end of August. It was still a dust bowl until end of September. We were there the first week of October and no growth but have gotten over 4" of rain since. It will be neat to see if it grew at all. I have passed/been shut out for 3 years so we will see how this year goes. Not shooting any deer in three years has kind gotten me an itch and I think I will scratch it this year regardless of sex or size. Have 4 tags and son has 2 non resident so hope its a good week.
Been out 4 times here in Southern MN with not much to show for it. Did have a nice fork horn get to with in 12 yards. But wouldn't you know I knew where they would come from but had to see where those squirrels went which was the other direction. Yea sitting on the ground the pick up movement rather easy. And had a doe at 15 yards took a shot, it was perfect except for the dead fall branch lying parallel to the ground 3 feet in front. Dang 1 higher and perfect. But it was a perfect center punch on the dead branch. Not sure how to cook at or what the limit is on them though.
God luck to all and may your arrows fly strait and true.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2017, 12:40:10 pm »
Well we finished harvesting sugarbeets the day before yesterday. Did tillage almost all night. Almost caught up now. Still have about three days left in the corn if all goes well. It was 17 degrees yesterday morning so we got the sugarbeets off just in time. I probably shouldn't have but I went out to my favorite stand last night. Sorry didn't take any pictures but if you just imagine the soybeans and sugarbeets gone and a thin coating of snow you'd get the picture. Was a bit on the chilly side and I was very tired but it still felt good to carry my bow out for another hunt. I didn't see nearly as many deer now and they were very nervous. Of course the coyote howling in the woods probably didn't help. I probably shouldn't have but I passed on a real nice shot at a button buck. I just couldn't make myself do it. Sorry guys it's just the way I've been raised I guess. I don't have any problems with someone else shooting them but I just can't seem to make myself do it. I was ready to shoot if it was a doe. It really was a very nice sized button buck. They must have had good eating this year. Maybe he'll give me that shot next year. The rutt was on heavy last week. Saw lots of bucks paired up with doe while we were digging sugarbeets. I haven't put the bow away yet but it's already feeling like gun season here and probably will be by the next time I get out.
Good Luck Everyone and Happy Hunting
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
I shot a button one time, ,I thought it was a doe,, but no regrets, it was very tasty,, thats my main incentive ,, I love to eat veneson,,
just shoot what feels right,, you are there to have fun,, so do so,,,,glad you had a close encounter

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2017, 06:33:44 am »
Thanks Brad, I basically feel the same way about hunting as you described. I'm more of a meat hunter and certainly not a trophy hunter. I think part of my reason I'm passing on button bucks is that I've never even been a bow hunter of any kind until last year when I hunted bow for my first time ever. I grew up with one tag and it had to have antlers. It was that way for many years for me. Eventually we were allowed doe permits for a extra fee and now a buck combo also for a extra fee. It just seems to be harder than I thought for me to break this selective type of hunting. I doubt I'd have any regrets and I'm positive they would be very tasty. I am very much enjoying my close encounters and hunting this year. I really don't want it to end. I am really starting to crave some fresh venison though. It's hard to say for sure but the next button might not be so lucky. At any rate it's been fun and like you said that's what it suppose to be.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:09 am »
I'm no fawn killer myself, BJ. I have no issue with it whatsoever, I'm just not one.

Friday morning was the coldest bow hunt I've been on. My truck read 14 when I parked. Brrrr......no deer moved either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2017, 06:26:29 am »
Well yesterday the wind finally died down and 17 degrees felt like we were living in the banana belt. The deer seemed to be out. About 3:00pm I couldn't take it any longer. The wind was still probably six mph but after a month of 15mph that seemed undetectable. I strung my new Osage bow. The first I've ever made. It's so new I don't even have it sealed. I bundled up good grabbed my mink quiver and backpack and headed for my west fencerow. I figured if I was going to sit in a tree it was going to be a pine tree. I drove across my worked field following the trail from before. It seems the deer are less afraid of a vehicle and I don't get sweated up and then cold getting a ride. I also don't spread near as much scent around. I noticed a half dozen deer in the nieghbors hay field and they ran to the woods. The plan was for me to get out and my wife to stealthy drive the pickup out of the field to the road home. She didn't really like this plan and claimed not to like driving across the field. After watching her drive past the end of the fence row half way across the nieghbors field then across the nieghbors field to the road end of the field but right past the drive into it. Then turned back south to our field stopping by our field drive she must have decided it was so much fun she continued across our field all the way back to the house. I told her she'd like it, I just didn't realize how much. So much for the stealthy exit. The deer probably got tired of watching her after awhile and I'm sure thought she was just having a good old time driving around in the worked field.
 It must have worked because within half an hour there where 11 deer in the nieghbors hay field grazing their way towards me. They crossed my fence row about 70 yards south of me and went to the sand ridge where the most sugarbeets had gotten knocked out of the rows by the topper. I watched them for about 20 minutes and then we all heard a muzzle loader blast that scared them and they ran back to the nieghbors hay field. As I watched them slowly graze towards me again my eyes caught movement further south down the fence row. A coyote was working his way across my field towards me. The wind was right I was hoping for a shot. When the coyote crossed the path the deer had just used he angled across my field to the road and hunted there for several minutes. Then he backtracked towards me again. He basically followed his earlier path and came about 50 yards from me. He got to the fence row and headed back south. Shorty after it was turning dark and fearing if I waited for my wife to find me in the dark I my freeze to death I decided to walk across the frozen field home. Once again no shots but still a very enjoyable hunt. the swans and geese flights were passing through low level in the falling snow. Even in the dark the fresh white snow brightened up the way home. My new Osage bow felt very good in my hand as I unbraced it and carried it home. Not sure if I'll get another hunt yet this year but they've all been enjoyable.
Happy Hunting and Merry Christmas everyone
Bjrogg