Author Topic: View from the stand 2017  (Read 24788 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: View from the stand 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 10:39:03 am »
Haven't had as much time to hunt as I'd like if there is such a thing. Did sneak out this morning for a little bit. Decided to hunt by the big pond this time. Before the water level came back up in Lake Huron and the neighbor to the south cleared his property this would have been a great bow hunting spot. This was the original old lakeshore road bed. Until about 30 years ago it was left as a pull off spot. Myself and many others fished here from shore. I always thought the county owned it but one day the owners put up gates and planted some trees to keep people out. I can't blame them they where tired of picking up other people's trash. A couple years ago it and the farm attached to mine came up for sale. The good lord must have wanted us to get it because an unbelievable amount of coincidences came together and my brothers and I own it now
Didn't see any deer but this is why we call it the sunrise side of the thumb here. It's also why this is my favorite time of day. Alway good to be on the right side of the sod to enjoy another one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:41:29 am »
One more
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
I am hoping to go friday to Coleman Texas,, I will take my camera and load some photos of where I hunt,,,
its pretty hot there and the rattlers are out,, but I love hunting there, I thought I wasn going to get to go this year,, but things worked out in a positive way ,, I am more than excited,, )P(

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 01:37:04 pm »
Real nice pictures, beautiful country!  Good luck to all :-D (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »
That's a beautiful area BJ.  That's a much nicer view than I have from my stands.  Since I have one in the freezer I didn't go out Monday.  My puppy let me know the deer were in the yard.  I heard her growling at the sliding door. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 04:30:18 am »
The end of an exciting hunt.
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 05:39:30 am »
Warning long winded but must read.
Can't wait to see the pictures Brad
Thanks Hawkdancer
Thanks Clint, when I was younger I didn't realize how blessed I was to have this view. It was taken for granted. Not anymore. I fact sometimes I get distracted by it and it costs me. Today I got distracted. The big lake really mess's with our wind. It was blowing about 9mph out of the west when I picked my hunting spot. I decided to sneak up the hill from the lake side and hunt a new brush blind that actually a stump blind. There were already deer out in the field about 200 yard away. The soybeans next to me have ripened and lost their appeal compared to the sugarbeets 200 yards away. The sun is beating down and I'm trying to stand up and hide in the shade of the stump. I need to take a step closer to the saplings next to the stump to have the benefit of the shade. Suddenly I hear thump. It's sounds like a Apple falling from a tree. I realize it must be a Black Walnut and I hear it again. Thump. Thump, Thump. I look into a huge Black Walnut tree and see a small squirrel scampering around from limb to limb shacking them until the walnuts fall. Then I see another squirrel coming down the lane, he stops several times to stand and look around. I decided I'm going to try take his picture with my phone. I slowly get out my phone, put in its password and turn on its camera just as the squirrel passes my stump. I slowly turn my head trying to see him come out from behind other side of stump. He never does and I slowly turn my head back as I turn off phone and start to put it away. As I almost have phone back in pocket and not quite totally turned around a small four point just materializes like magic from a hole in a cedar tree. I see him before he sees me but he is standing less than 6 yards from me right broadside. I'm screwed, I can't move. He doesn't see me but he is at the edge of cover and looking all around. I can't move. I can't draw my bow. I couldn't shoot even if I could because I'm standing to close to the saplings to be in the shade. I'm still holding my phone and can't decide if I should put it in my pocket or try to get a picture with it. I slowly put it in my pocket. The buck is still standing there looking all around. Finally he stares right at me. I can see the puzzled look on his face. He's not really spooked but he doesn't remember that stump " me" standing there before. He turns and pops back out the hole in the cedar tree. Dang, you idiot that's what you get for playing with the squirrel. I decided to sit down after awhile. The buck wasn't really spooked and I'm thinking maybe he might even let curiosity get the best of him. After about 45 minutes I'm pretty sure he's not coming back. I forgot to mention that before he came out the wind had started changing. It was very feckle. One minute blowing straight out of the west and seconds later switching straight out of the east off the lake. The buck had come from what would have been down wind when I originally set up. Anyway I'm sitting ready and on high alert. Suddenly a spike horn steps out from behind the same cedar tree. I can see his head and neck but not his body. He also is at the edge of cover and looking all around. I very slowly try to stand but he seems to sense me. I sit back down. He moves a little further out of the cover and now I can't see him behind the log of the stump. Again I try to stand nope he's looking right my way now. I watch him from under the log as he take several more steps away until he catches a wiff of my scent. He's confused because the feckle wind is not giving him my full scent and he moves around some to try to find it. Finally he just decides to leave and again I'm left hold my bow without being able to draw it. This is a good spot but I see a few things I need to change. It really was a very exciting hunt though. Although I didn't get a shot or wasn't even able to draw my bow it was one of the most memorable hunts I've ever had. I kept waiting till dark for the big one to come out, but he never did. I made my way back to my pickup parked by the lake by the light of the hunters moon. I stood and watched it for awhile. As Pappy says "life is good". I guess those two bucks might be saying it to.
Bjrogg

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 09:54:53 am »
I love those pictures and reports !  :OK :OK

Offline ksnow

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:29 am »
Sounds like a good time, BJ. Hope one of those cooperates for you.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 06:20:57 pm »
Good hunters story BJ!!Things are rather damp around me now here even with dead leaves on the ground so the deer can appear like smoke from out of nowhere.Exciting and can keep you on the ball.....lol.Keeps you coming back for more....lol.
Yesterday evening I actually heard a few grunts in the distance and tried to entice a challenge fight but no dice/a pair of a mother and fawn just out of range/2 turkeys with one almost getting skewred but let him go.Just a little too much out of my comfort zone.None were aware of my presence so I'll be back as Arnie Shwarzinpickle would say....lol.It's raining today though.
I'll try to remember my camera next time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Adam

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 06:32:47 pm »
I love these threads!  I haven't made it out yet, but I'll get some pictures when I do.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »
Thanks everyone and Good Luck to all you hunters out there. Yep Ed, they are so quite here right now I just can't believe I didn't hear them they were so close. The squirrel sure made a lot more noise but that's what makes it so exciting. Hours of nothing and seconds of pure adrenaline.
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
Hope I'm not going to regret this. I probably should have shot a doe but I didn't want to screw up this spot. It's the first time I actually got to sit in this stand except for a couple hours in the middle of opening day. Only problem here is a lot of stuff to keep track of. At one point I had eleven deer within 5 to fifty yards of me. Most of them within twenty. There also was a group of turkeys that came in Range. I passed on multiple chances at does fawns and button bucks. There was a nice six point that was slowly grazing his way closer but he got distracted about 50 yards away changed course. He went out to the soybeans and laid down about 140 yards away. It must have been to much for this little button buck. He decided to lay down about ten yards from my stand. He stayed there for at least a half hour. I couldn't take any pictures when everybody was close but here's four I took after they moved farther away. These pictures were all taken in about ten seconds.
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 08:41:01 pm »
Pictures
Bjrogg

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »
Sounds like a great hunt bj! Looks like an amazing stand location. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!