Author Topic: View from the stand 2017  (Read 24783 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: View from the stand 2017
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 11:33:59 pm »
Now that's entertainment!!!Your rut must not be in full swing yet if they are'nt chasing each other.Looks like they're getting ready though.I don't blame you for waiting.The rut has'nt started here yet I know.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 02:37:18 am »
Way cool BJ ! Are You anywhere close to Harbor Beach ? I used to spend a lot of time there Fishing - LOVE the "Sunrise Coast"  :OK - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2017, 05:45:19 am »
Thanks Patrick, yes this is a amazing spot. Maybe a little busy. I was actually glad when they moved a little further away so I could scratch my nose.
Bob yes I have a HB address. I'm about 9 miles south. PM me if you make it over this way sometime.
Ed our rut usually doesn't start for a couple weeks yet. Usually we're in full blown harvest mode with sugarbeets then. There were two smaller bucks sparring but not real seriously. The six point would chase them away every time they started. In fact that's what distracted him and changed his course. There was one doe that seemed to be flirting with him and they walked off and laid down in the soybeans. It's like you told me last year when I was starting out. Get on the board. I guess I got on the board last year with my four point. I've got nothing against shooting a doe, I'm thinking I should go buy a doe tag. I'd really like to save my buck tags but could sure use the meat. I really don't want to do it when there's eleven other deer in sight in a brand new stand. I do need meat though so hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. As far as hunting goes though, even though I haven't gotten out as much as I'd like. Man I've had some really fantastic close incounters. That's what I really love about this. It's all about the hunt. Good Luck everyone hope you all have some close incounters of your own.
Happy Hunting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 12:01:20 pm »
      Hope I'm not hogging up all the space on this thread, I'd love to see someone else's pictures and stories here. Just trying to share some of the most exciting hunting I've ever experienced.
      Afraid this isn't all that exciting but it is a bit of a promising sign of possible things to come. I hunted my new tree stand again yesterday afternoon and evening. I got there early about 2:30pm. The deer come out here pretty early. I think it's because they feel safe and comfortable in the afternoon shade from the woods at the field edge. When I got there the first thing I noticed is that there where two brand new fresh rubs both within my comfort zone range. The wind was SE and supposedly going to calm down and turn east. Perfect. Evidently Mother Nature didn't read the same weather report. I can deal with a ESE wind here but that's not what happened. The wind just kept picking up stronger and turning less from the East. It was pretty much straight out of the South slightly East. It was fine for anything that came from the east or even north but the old tractor trail ramp coming up out of the woods was right downwind. I'm thinking they probably caught my scent. Nobody snorted or bolted, but they almost all came out to the field edge about 30 yards further east than usual. That puts them about 45 yards away from my stand. I still watched lots of deer. The nice six point was back and about 20 minutes before sunset and real nice eight point came out.
        The only shot anyone presented was a dandy quartering away from a raccoon. He's luckily I didn't have a steel broadhead. I didn't want to use my best stone point arrow on him.
        Walking home the coyotes were howling and got pretty close to me. There was a wide sliver of sky left but to dark to see them.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 01:53:22 pm »
Yes animals seem to be gathering here too like they know what's coming.A doe was within 7 to 8 yards of me last night but behind the  stand of course.Not all that many leaves on the ground yet so a noiseless appearance happens making a person stay on their toes.Turkeys roosting by every stand I'm in.They are my clock and half hour after they roost I head out if the coast is clear.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 08:49:15 am »
Raining to beat the band here.Good to have it really from the hot dry summer.Did get out in the stand the afternoon before though.8 does and 1 small eight point buck entertained me 50 to 60 yards away.The 8 point went to beating up on a small tree for some time by himself.Very preoccupied.There were trees and brush within 20 yards of him down wind too yet.Almost came down from the stand to try to put the sneak on him.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 12:27:25 pm »
Just got back from Texas and have a few photos,, no meat,, this is my last day hunt, ,, from ground blind,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:39 pm »
That shot makes me arm tremble.. (SH)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 01:13:09 pm »
yep me too,, one more,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »
Looks plenty dry there too.Nice looking young buck though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 06:05:57 am »
Nice stories Ed. Thanks for the little glimpse into your hunting stand.

Brad those look like some really close pictures. Darn nice buck and some nice property to hunt.

I haven't been able to get out lately and it's really bugging me. I've been waiting for a north wind. We finally got one for the last to days but I couldn't get out.

My cousin I made the "Deep Roots" bow for got a shot at 4 point a couple nights ago. He has tonight and maybe tomorrow morning to hunt yet. He went from starting to get a little down on hunting to totally hooked in the blink of a eye. He didn't get his four point but he does realize now that this isn't impossible and it's very thrilling. Pure adrenaline. It's raining here now. It's was a cool wet spring and summer here. But it's been hot dry fall. Funny how it always seems to average out.
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 12:24:57 pm »
my camera had a zoom,,the deer was about 40 yards,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 12:37:05 pm »
Brad...I kind of thought that.I can see his hair coat is'nt near as thick as ours are here farther north.You got other hunting plans in your home area?
BJ....The weather your getting we just had.Here it's cooled off nicely with a north wind & stopped raining.It's a coming your way soon.I know what you mean.My stands are set up a lot for that north wind.Have others set up for south wind too majority are for the north wind.14 stands altogether.A person just never knows for sure what direction that deer will come from.I expect things to pick up even more soon.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 04:55:26 pm »
I didnt draw any more for hunting here,,
I can hunt turkey in Nov,,here in New Mexico,,
I probably wont have time or budget to go to texas till spring turkey hunt,,,
so I may not get to shoot at any more deer,,,,
I had a good close shot a a buck in texas, but things went crazy at full draw with another buck behind me I did not see,,,long story short,, I hit the buck in front of me in the horns,, it was not an effective shot,, and my arrow went in 10 different directions,, thrilling but unproductive in the meat department,, (SH)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 11:00:36 pm »
I finally made it into a stand this evening.  That's the first time since opening day.  This was my view looking down from a big split trunk osage tree.  We keep the field mowed short.  Next year we plan on seeding it with clover.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left