Author Topic: Question on ivory overlays  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Question on ivory overlays
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:41:06 am »
The guy in building a Penobscot for asked me to use some ivory on the overlays and cable slide tips. The pieces aren't large but I'd love to use them. The smaller one sleont be any problem to use for the slide tips. The other one can be made to work if I make the "grain" go parallel with the direction the string will cross it. If I run it perpendicular, it's a little short to make look good, but is still usable. Essentially the taper would be short as it's only 7/8" X 1.5" of usable material. I may have to layer materials to get it up where is needs to be. I'll offer him that as in option. But just in case he wants just the ivory, will it hold up fine if the string lies Wyeth the grain?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Question on ivory overlays
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:57:51 am »
Don't wanna be a killjoy, but is the ivory legal ?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:21:41 pm »
From what I was told, it's some old pre ban material he has. You can't buy or sell any of the pre ban stuff, but you can gift it as far as I can find.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »
I think it will hold just fine since the bow itself is backing it.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:11 pm »
Funny how there always seems to be a supply of ivory, despite importation bans that have been there for years. Personally I don't see any problem in the trade providing it is done with govt supervision, so not to endanger the species. Why waste good ivory, letting decay in elephant graveyards.

I haven't used the stuff before but commonsense tells me to use it along the grain, and not across.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:19 pm »
Horn has a grain and ivory does too.From experience it's best to go with the grain.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed