Author Topic: The stiff side  (Read 6305 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: The stiff side
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 12:20:50 pm »
I will look at TBB 3 tonite. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 06:59:50 am »
Page 250 at the top in the TBB 3.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 08:17:34 am »
I could not find my copy last nite.  I will find it tonite. 

I did, though, search the PA archives as well as Trad Gang, and found numerous threads and diagrams showing and explaining that the grain flames should be oriented on the top of the arrow by pointing towards the arrow head (bow hand) for the reason we have been discussing.  In looking back at your statement, you were talking about the grain flames running over your bow hand when you shoot off of it.  Maybe we agree?   The flames that would run over your hand would be those on the bottom of the shaft, and would, in my way of thinking, be pointing at the nock, as they will always be opposite the flames on the top of the arrow.   Although I never thought about the grain flames catching my hand, in normal use, lime feathers, your reasoning is consistent (for a different reason)with my "broken arrow" fear and reasoning for the top of the arrow flames pointing towards the head. 

I urge you to search the PA archives and tell me if you don't find what I found.  I searched wood arrow grain orientation in google and got PA and Trad Gang threads as well as numerous diagrams.  I just don't know to post them here.  Don't know about you, but I can't see what loon was trying to post. 
Russ

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 09:05:02 am »
RB

Loons "link" is non-clickable, but if you click on the word "select" just above, you can copy/paste into the address bar of the browser, oryou have tabs in your browser, you can just drag it to the tab bar

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 09:49:13 am »
Just watched loons posted video.  Although the guy says that the grain should be downward and back -  the photo of the arrow is he holding shows the rift grain pointing forward on the top (back on the bottom) of the shaft. 

See this diagram

h ttp://tradbow.com/wood-grain-direction/

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 08:14:10 am »
So, I found my TBB 3 and looked at the diagram on the top of page 250.  This diagram attempts to explain the two different types of grain configuration we could expect to see in a split shaft.  The text uses the terms reed and rift.  I would use the term "edge grain" for what they call reed - and I think we agree that this is the edge of the shaft most likely to spine the highest value, and it is then therefore this edge which goes against the bow slight window.  The other type of grain, I call rift or we have been referring to it as the grain run out or grain flames or points.  This rift grain will point one way on one side of the shaft and the opposite way 180 degrees around.  That is all this diagram purports to show.  It did not, as far as I could tell, indicate which way the rift flames should point in a finished arrow.  As the diagram I posted yesterday shows, you should orientate the rift flames on the top of the finished shaft to point at the arrow head.  Although it is not common to have a shaft break on release, if it does, the shooter will be safer if orientated this way.  I hope your research leads you to agree.  Russ. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 10:49:09 am »
Yes I'm good with the way I make my split timber shafts.The points are visible of the flames of the rift on page 230.I've never had a shaft break into my hand as what we are talking about.Off some highly reflexed bows too yet if that makes a diff.
Ed.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 08:02:51 am »
Another reference as to what I mean RB.Been making them this way for quite a while and it's the correct way with no problems.There was some glare on the first picture from the fash.Here's a better picture.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:15:06 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 10:53:06 am »
Ed

I can understand you not wanting to change the method you have been using, but if it can be improved, maybe you should give it some consideration???  As to the pics you reference, they demonstrate or indicate that the rift grain flames of the shafts should point towards the arrow head, on the top of the arrow, as it sits on the shelf, as I have been attempting to explain. 

With the picture from the book you just posted, only the bottom right photo indicates in which direction the arrow head is to be (to the left).  The grain of the arrow in this picture shows the rift flames facing towards the head. 

In TBB, on page 230, there is a stick figure drawing re spine.  But the facing page 231, shows an arrow sitting on a grain scale.  The rift grain flames are visible in this picture, and they too, are oriented so as to face the arrow head on the top of the shaft (we can tell it is the top of shaft due to the nock and nock indicator). 

So, once again, I am thinking, if these pictures of the arrow rift grain are how you orient your shafts, then we are in agreement.  From your other writings in this thread, though, I got the impression you were advocating that the rift grain flames on the top of the shaft should be pointing to the nock end of the arrow - and if this is what you believe, then not only do we disagree, but I also believe you are mis-understanding the pictures and diagrams you have drawn attention to.   

Russ

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 07:04:03 am »
RB...My interpretation of the pictures is correct.The way I make them the arrow if it does break will angle off away from my bow hand.Leaving the points from the broken arrow pointing away from the bow hand. I believe your wrong and we'll just have to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:23:40 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed