Author Topic: oh bother!  (Read 3752 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: oh bother!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 10:22:32 am »
Some bows teach you more than others, and this is the strictest teacher I've had in a while. I've refaced the joint using water as a tell tale, scored it, glued both faces, tied it tight as I can and clamped it as well. If this fails then its gonna be a take down bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 12:33:36 pm »
if you wrap it with linen,, and put superglue on the linen,, it wont come off

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 03:34:05 pm »
If it Is bending too much in the middle make the middle thicker or it will still be bending too much

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 02:50:27 am »
If it Is bending too much in the middle make the middle thicker or it will still be bending too much

Agreed!
Also don't score mating surfaces, modern glues don't need it. Be careful about applying too much pressure to splices, they are way more likely to fail if clamped hard.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 04:58:48 am »
Is this a board? It broke along a grain line that ran off the edge. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:32 am »
No, not a board, a billet bow, but the crown on the v-splice was messy so I rasped it into a slightly dished profile and laminated in a suitably shaped piece of apple.  I also stiffened the bow by laminating in a belly laminate so the bow has gone from bendy-handle to elliptical, although it seems the handle is still moving enough to pop the  laminate off the back

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 08:31:37 am »
OK, so I put the bow into a fistmele brace, no problem; drew it to 24"a few times, no problem; drew it to 26" and the glue failed.  The belly laminate is trouble-free, so the glue I used (cascamite) is fine in compression, before I use a linen thread wrap, anybody know of a flexible adhesive that is great in tension?  I tried Araldite 2-part epoxy and it performed much worse than the cascamite.  Both the thick super-glue and the thin cyano lasted better than the epoxy but both were worse than the cascamite.  Maybe I should go with a hide-glue?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 11:01:40 am »
they bow is bending too much in the handle it would seem,, a picutre with the bow drawn would take some of the guess work out for us,,
smooth on,, is a fine glue and should work if any glue will work,,  but maybe  tiller the bow to not bend in the handle and reduce the weight,,,, I understand you have a draw and weight in mind,, but the handel section is not desigined properly for that, you might consider makeing some changes,, :)