Author Topic: Aging big game meat  (Read 5269 times)

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
Re: Aging big game meat
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 08:24:55 am »
Hey guys,
  From what I have read, water washes away the natural enzimes that breaks down the fibers, and makes the meat tender, and adds flavor.
  I have a large ice chest I use. I got some of the crates that 2 liter drinks come in at the stores, and cut them to fit in the bottom of ice chest. they are about 4 inches high.  I put the meat on them, then put a layer of plastic over the meat, draping it down the sides of cooler. fill it with ice.  I leave the drain open, just add ice as needed. the melted ice runs to the bottom, and out the drain, and never touches the meat.  I usually put the ice chest on a table, raise the end opposite the drain by placing a board, or something under the chest, and let the bloody water run into a 5 gallon bucket.
 36 to 38 degrees is the preferred temp range, so I put a meat thermometer in a back leg. the temp isn't hard to keep in range.
        Good hunting
          Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 04:47:56 pm »
I have heard the also Steve, and it may very well be true, but mine could be no more tender and as for the flavor, the flavor it had before I started do it the way I do it wasn't a flavor I liked, to each their own. Some want that taste, just not Miss Joanie and I.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 05:19:00 pm »
I aged both of my deer this season for 10 days in a fridge before butchering.  The temperature was 35-36 degrees.  I've already sampled one of them and it was great.  I shared some with a coworker who doesn't hunt or eat deer meat much.  He enjoyed it and said it had no gamey taste at all.  I rinse my deer off before putting them in the fridge. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 05:54:07 pm »
This might be off subject, but it might work. My wife took some ham. I'm not exactly sure what precisely she did. It's all top secret and she'd have to shot me if she told me. As much as I can get out of her is she put in in a roaster with two cans of beer and onion soup and put it back in fridge for a few days and then cooked it in it. Wow was that tender and delicious. When it got cold it got a jelly on it. Might have to try it with a venison roast. Man I'm getting hungry, sure wish I didn't miss that spike horn last night.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:57 pm »
Pappy,
  I fully agree, if it's not aged, and drained I cant eat it. I caught an 8 pointer in a hog snare one time. How he got in a gully, and his head so low to the ground, I will never figure out. He had cooled by the time I got to him(the next morning). It was cool weather so still good.  Let me tell you that was some rank meat. Even the burger.   I think getting the blood out is the most important part of it.
Years ago many people didn't know what to do with a deer once killed, and just cut it up, and put it in the freezer(me included)
 I think that's why a lot of people say they don't like deer meat.
Osage Outlaw,
 I do mine mostly in the fridge, now that I have an extra one to dedicate just for that.  It is cheaper than buying ice for sure. I do cover the meat with saran wrap to keep it from drying out.
    Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 10:16:45 pm »
I haven't done it for a few years but when breaking down a deer I removed the hams, shoulders and cut the spine in half with tenderloins intact. These pieces went into the "other" frig on the wire racks with air circulation around all pieces. I let it go for 10 to 14 days(mol). The outside skins over but I trim that off and have excellent meat inside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 04:13:37 am »
I also always bone mine out, I think the bone morrow dust causes a bad taste also, along with the fat and blood. I lose some volume of meat when I work one up, but I clean it up really well getting all the fat and most of the sinew off of it before processing it to wrap. When I open a piece of meat from the freezer all I have to do is thaw, rinse and cook. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 12:34:37 pm »
I also always bone mine out, I think the bone morrow dust causes a bad taste also, along with the fat and blood. I lose some volume of meat when I work one up, but I clean it up really well getting all the fat and most of the sinew off of it before processing it to wrap. When I open a piece of meat from the freezer all I have to do is thaw, rinse and cook. ;) :)
 Pappy

Could not agree more!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »
 Pappy

True words of wisdom.. Been doing this for over 30 years
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
That's funny, Pat, because I used to save all the long bones in the freezer until I had a big ol pile. Then I'd get together some friends at Rendezvous and late at night when the fire was a deep pile of coals, we'd all get a short stump and tomahawk out and start roasting bones in the fire.  Marrow on sourdough pan bread at 2:00 a.m. under the stars is an incredible feast!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 11:47:51 pm »
JW,
I agree, but you forgot to add the "aquariente" or other appropriate spirits!  I am about to smoke a "haunch" of venison, been in the freezer a while, figure about a week of slow smoking if I can keep the fire lite..  Don't have a real smokehouse.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 07:20:33 am »
    Clint,
              I will take my cuts, the three muscles in each ham, the loins and shoulders and wrap them separately in waxed backed wrapping paper and leave them in the bottom of the fridge for a minimum of 14 days in the fridgerator...Taste allot like beef after that...I made a mistake once not using waxed back wrapping and the paper was hard to remove...Aging is key to good meat...Rinse in vinegar and water, slice and turn into cube steak...Rest goes into stew beef cubes...
                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;