Author Topic: Crabapple?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Crabapple?
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:23:01 pm »
Got after the crabapple log yesterday and split out a piece that looks sort of clean and could make 2 or3 staves.  Is is better to split staves now or let it cure a while then split?  Take bark off now?  How to seal ends back and belly?  That is real tough wood!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

Re: Crabapple?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »
With green Pacific(Oregon) Crabapple I take the bark off and seal the back and end grain with shellac.I clamp it to a 2x4 and try and take any bend out so it, hopefully, will dry straight. All the crab I've gotten around here is kind of ropey looking under the bark. It's a really cool texture but be careful when debarking or it's easy to scrape(mark) the back.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:44 pm »
I would leave the bark on myself....
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:24:54 am »
Is it better to try to split off bow staves, or cut with a circular saw?  Being a newbie at bow making, I would like to get as many to staves as possible without making firewood of the whole log :BB >:D (SH)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:37:11 pm »
If you know for sure that the stave is straight and not barber poled then sawing is an option. If it twists at all and you saw it the sawed stave will twist and probably the bow it will be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 01:01:14 pm »
I try to split the log at least once. This will tell you if it's twisted.  If there is not too much you can saw the rest following the twist.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 11:39:05 am »
If you know for sure that the stave is straight and not barber poled then sawing is an option. If it twists at all and you saw it the sawed stave will twist and probably the bow it will be.

That is not true on all woods....
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.